Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:45 PM   #1

Hi everybody.I need some advice on a flashgun for my digital E300 Olympus slr camera.The olympus flashguns are very pricey and out of my price range.Can anyone recommend a flashgun that will work well that is inexpensive.Thanks
Mystique.

mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:40 PM   #2

I'm using a Sunpak 383 with my e1 at the moment and it works pretty well with it but its not ttl at all. Have you looked at the Oly FL36 its pretty cheap about £135.00 brand new and I know of one of the guys at the Pana forum that picked up a FL50 for $250 on ebay.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:20 PM   #3

How hard is it to use the Sunpak 383? I always see people on forums rave about how powerful it is. I know it's a manual flash so there is some learning involved, but is it extensive? Can a newbie to digital photography pick it up and learn quickly? How are the recycle times?
MOG_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:26 PM   #4

Maybe you should understand why the Olympus flashes are so expensive before deciding on alternative.

The FL-36 & FL-50 talk to the camera, when you change a setting on the camera the flash will automatically adjust for that setting. When when you zoom your lens the flash will also zoom automatically.

You can use ANY manual or automatic flash on the camera (provided the flash has a reasonable trigger voltage and not something outrageous, say anything under 24v), BUT you will have to set the camera by the chart on the flash unit itself, and you are limited to what the flash tells you to set the camera to.

Personally, if you don't want to worry about flash settings, it is worth every penny to get the FL-36 or FL-50.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:34 PM   #5

Nicely put Mike and thats the reason why I'm looking to get the FL50 as soon as I can. The Sunpak 383 is a nice flash but there are times when I mess up and I'd much prefer the E1 to do it all.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:42 PM   #6

Just to add there ARE times I do use manual flashes, particularly in a studio setting, but in that situation I also use a handheld light meter to measure the output of the strobes, and adjust the camera to what the meter says.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:31 PM   #7

the FL36 is pretty cheap and cheerfull
and the Oly TTL mode is really very good

only thing about FL36 people comment on is
it only takes 2x AA's
and it has no sync plug for off camera
so you need a special cable to get the flash off camera (on a grip)

the FL50 is the go really

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:26 PM   #8

i have both the FL36 and FL50, once i bought the FL50 i stopped using the FL36, so now i'm going to sell it..it's a nice flash unit, but lacks in battery life recharge time and distance
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:44 AM   #9

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
When when you zoom your lens the flash will also zoom automatically.

You can use ANY manual or automatic flash on the camera
Well said, butI find when I use the FL-36 zoom function with my E-1 it tends to vignette the light a little more than I's like (yes, I'm using the 4/3's zoom setting). I'll generally set the zoom wider manually (yes, it reduces working distance but gives a more evenly lit photo IMO).

A good AUTO flash is a money-saving option. These don't "talk" to the camera but indicate a range of aperture settings that can be used. The flash then adjusts it's light output based on readings taken by an on-board sensor on the flash itself. I have a powerful Sunpak that I use in AUTO mode and the exposure accuracy is excellent. The cost with all the accessories (extra battery/charger, StoFen, etc.) was about the cost of my FL-36, and certainly less than the FL-50. So why did I get the FL-36? First,my Sunpak is a huge handle mount; not very convenient in everyday situations. Second, the true value of the FL-36 (or FL-50) shows up in TTL FP mode. This allows you to use the flash with a high shutter speed outdoors as a fill-flash. Normally you're limited to 1/180 shutter speed with other units as the camera will not sync with the flash above that.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies.Very helpful.
Mystique
mystique is offline   Reply With Quote