Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:53 PM   #11

atcomp wrote:
Quote:
If you have Win XP,go to Device manager and Universal serial bus controllers,double click on each Usb root hub and the last heading on the top Power Management,untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.Do that on each Usb root hub,it might solve the download problem,cheers Alan
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I also noticed that there was a conflict between Olympus Master and Musicmatch Jukebox, so I uninstalled that. Still didn't help. The update downloads fine to the computer, but something is inhibiting communication with the camera.
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 2:25 PM   #12

Did you ever find a solution to your firmware update problem? I'm in the same boat. I've got an e-500 with firmware v1.0, and when I try to update to v1.2, it transfers the update to the camera, but the camera screen never turns on, and it eventually gives the message "an error occurred at communicating with camera".

I followed their instructions (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/qa/contents/03b/ssoftware7.cfm) and I talked to Olympus tech support several times, and they eventually gave up and said I'd have to ship the body back to them to get it done. No thanks. What's the point of providing firmware to the end user if it can't be used?

I've even tried things like:

Using both Olympus Studio and Olympus Master
Resetting the firmware to factory defaults
Taking off the lens
Using two different computers (Windows 2000 and Windows XP)

No such luck. It's a shame Olympus makes such a great camera with such an awful update system. What happened to updating off of the CF card?

If anyone knows any other ways to update the firmware on the e-500 please post a reply. Thanks!

bluesguy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 4:39 PM   #13

A couple of ideas...don't go through a USB hub, connect the camera DIRECTLY to the camera. Also, try updating the camera WITHOUT the lens on.

As for the method Olympus uses to update the camera, it's to protect the user from pirate firmwares. Also, it IS a lot easier than other methods of upgrading firmware (I've upgraded everything including a sewing machine).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 6:34 PM   #14

I bought the two lens kit with the E500, followed by the 35mm macro (good macro performance, but requires close-in work, which makes lighting a problem), and more recently I bought the 11-22mm for general photography.

There went the lens budget, but It has rarely been off the camera since! Depending on the style of photography you want to get into, this may or may not be a good fit, but it is a great lens.

I'm glad to hear others comment on the flash options, I was about to order the FL36, but it sounds like the FL50 may be worth waiting a little longer.

If I were starting now, I'd also be tempted to wait for the E410 or E510, unless you can find a great price on the E500. The prices you mentioned aren't any lower than what I paid 2 years ago!
dandand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 7:37 PM   #15

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
A couple of ideas...don't go through a USB hub, connect the camera DIRECTLY to the camera. Also, try updating the camera WITHOUT the lens on.

As for the method Olympus uses to update the camera, it's to protect the user from pirate firmwares. Also, it IS a lot easier than other methods of upgrading firmware (I've upgraded everything including a sewing machine).
I tried both of those ideas previously. What I'm hoping for is one of two things (where I don't have to send the body back):

A) Someone who solved this problem via some other configuration changes (e.g. certain e-500 menu settings, or Windows settings, etc)

B) Some alternate way to load the firmware. I downloaded the .bin file from Olympus and tried loading it manually via the compact flash like we used to be able to on the old P&S models.

(e.g. http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-firmware.html#INSTALL)

I set it up and tried pressing play. No such luck.

I got this idea because someone at another forum claimed an Olympus tech did this on their E-1, so I figured I'd give it a try.

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showt...e-500+firmware

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

bluesguy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote