Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:46 PM   #1

Hi! I'm a new E330 user (I love this thing). I have the 18-180 zoom but was thinking of getting a better longer lens (mainly for outdoor shots). Which would be better the Sigma 50-500 or the E Zuiko50-200? Also, where can I find a Sigma for the Olympus mount? Are they available yet? Thanks!
netzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:56 PM   #2

Anybody know where to get a Sigma? :?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:54 AM   #3

I checked the normal places I would look...B&H, Adorama, and I see B&H is accepting orders on the Sigma, and they recently had it in stock, although I would wager the actual number of units was limited as it's just become available. If anyone has some any time soon, I'd bet on B&H. Get on their waiting list.

As to which one youshould buy...well, if you have to ask, maybe you need to do some more studying as to what you want to do as they are very different lenses. The 50-200 Zuiko is a 100% hand-holdable, fastlens that you can use in both good light and indoor in lower-lit areas with good results, but you need good holding technique at very low shutter speeds the closer you get to 200mm. I own the Zuiko and t's probably either 1 or 1a along with my 7-14 Zuikoin terms of being the sharpest lenses I own.

Have you had one of these Sigma 50-500 lenses in your hands? This lens is the equivalent of a 100-1000mm lens on a 35mm camera- it is physically very big and long when zoomed to 500mm, which allsounds awesome (and is), but do you know what that really means in terms of how you need to hold a 1000mm lens on that small a bodyto keep it steady enough to get a good, sharp image (?), AND you need enough light because at 500mm you'll be dealing with an f6.3 maximum aperture.

If you are a bird or long distance wildlifeshooter and shootin good lightthe 50-500 Sigma will obviously be the better choice, especially if the 180mm setting of your 18-180 is way short of how far you want to zoom...along with a good, solid tripod, but for any other type shooting, the Zuiko 50-200 will be much easier to hand-hold and will be more versatile within its rangewith the faster speed.

This is a recent article I posted in the travel section. Every one of these was shot with the 50-200 Zuiko:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=86

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:21 PM   #4

Thanks! I went with the 50-200 for I think all the right reasons. A good deal at buydig...I hope. I found they also must have good resale value as this lens used goes for $700.00 but new at buydig it was $799.00 -- go figure.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:44 AM   #5

Yes, it's called a tripod. And it should be a good one.

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Have you had one of these Sigma 50-500 lenses in your hands? This lens is the equivalent of a 100-1000mm lens on a 35mm camera- it is physically very big and long when zoomed to 500mm, which allsounds awesome (and is), but do you know what that really means in terms of how you need to hold a 1000mm lens on that small a bodyto keep it steady enough to get a good, sharp image (?),

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=86
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote