Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:32 PM   #1

I have a silicon power ultima 1Gb cf card. After taking approx 20 shots the camera comes up with card error. After turning camera off removing the card, reinserting the card and turning back on it comes up with 'protected', and you you can't even access the playback feature to delete or veiw images off the card.

I have put the card in another camera when the oly has come up with the error message. Other camera accessed the card fine and was able to take pictues and work as normal. The other camera found the last picture taken on the oly had no data?? After deleting the picture the card worked fine in the oly again. Is it a weird card or is it the oly writing a bad file and locking the card up itself which to me it seems that is what it is doing.

any ideas?
hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:29 PM   #2

Is this an ongoing problem, or did it only happen once, and now everything's working fine? If it's a one time occurrence, I would suggest that one file got corrupted, and that getting rid of the corrupted file solved the problem. It happens.

DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:20 AM   #3

no this is the third time it has happened. camera has only taken 154ish photos.

have formatted the card on computer as fat32, then re formatted in camera so will see what that does.

by the way, the e-300 works with the card formatted to fat32, it takes a bit longer to turn on though.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:52 AM   #4

do not format on your PC, use the camera...also "off-brand" names are more notorious for early failures, doesn't always hold true, but buyer beware
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:07 AM   #5

Also some famous brands have been counterfeitted, especially the Sandisk Extreme III found on eBay. Buy from a reputable dealer.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:11 PM   #6

I have heard before not to format on a pc, but since it wouldn't make things worse decided to see what it would do. Anyway card is now formatted by the camera again so hopefully all will be ok.