Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:02 PM   #1
rnc

This is kind of embarrassing, but after 9 days of ownership I just noticed that the kit lens included in the Costco package is different than the kit lens sold by just about every other vendor. I figured it out when I tried to attach the 58mm filters that came in today. It's hard to fit a 58mm filter into a 52mm thread.

So, I'm wondering how significant the difference is between these two lenses. I understand that I'll have a wider view with the 14-45 lens, but are there any other differences that I should consider? Olympus doesn't list the 17.5-45 lens specs, at least I can't find them.

I don't like to return product if it can be avoided, as we all pay for it in the end, but I will if the performance is significantly better.

Thanks!
rnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:09 AM   #2

The significant difference is in the quality of materials used. The 14-45 is definitely consumer quality, but at least it does have a metal lens mount. The 17-5-45 is plastic through and through, right down to the lens mount, and the 3.5mm difference in the wide angle view can be significant. If you've ever shot a 35mm SLR think back to how much wider a 28mm lens is to a 35mm lens. That's the difference.

I'll let someone who's actually taken pictures with both speak to the optical comparison as I've shot with neither. Chances are, stopped down a little the two will compare favorably at like focal lengths, but again, that wide angle difference would be enough to sway me to the 14-45.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/stnd_tst.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:05 PM   #4

I feel I've done well with the 14-45 lens and have some good photos out of it. I can't compare with the other not having used it.

The one I'm a tad disappointed with is the second lens of the 2 lens kit, the 40-150. It always seems a little soft, even with a tripod.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:02 PM   #5

Hi RNC

Can't really comment on the 17-45mm as I've never used one but i do have the 14-45 and the 14-54 and have noticed a difference in IQ since getting the 14-54ZD. For a better answer take a look at this link which compares the three lenses:

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/stnd_tst.html

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:13 PM   #6
rnc

Thanks everyone, this is good information. So far I've posted 3 times and have had great responses each time; this is a great forum.
rnc is offline   Reply With Quote