Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:38 AM   #11

i have the sigma 55-200, 4-5.6 lens for my e-500. i bought it with the idea of getting more frame filling wildlife shots (mostly deer size animals), although it has about a 30% gain in magnification over the kit olympus lens it is still a little lacking for me. the point i guess i'm trying to make is your probally find your self much happier with 1 of the lenses doug mentioned if biriding is serious for you. serious birders use high quality spotting scopes converted to accept cameras, this is another option you should research. do web search on "digiscoping"
one final note on my sigma it only cost me $119.00, picture quality is more than acceptable, it does give a little extra reach, but it pretty much is a tripod mounted lens if you plan on shooting at iso 100. this may be a cheap way to see if 200mm is enough reach for you though.
hope this helps some.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:16 AM   #12

Donna, you offer quite alot. For an advanced beginner, you take really nice photos, and you ask more intelligent questions than most, based on trying to overcome the limits of your gear that you experience in actual use. That's quite a bit more valuable than the typical forum questions which are based on specsmanship and brand chauvanism. The forums need the types of thoughtful questions like the ones you ask to be worthwhile.

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Doug.

And Edge, I wish I had more to offer the forum...perhaps with more time and experience. donna
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:38 AM   #13

Thanks, it does help. When I bought my camera I wasn't sure what I would like to photograph...looks like I picked a more difficult subject

And Doug,thanks for supporting a beginner. Not everyone is suited to "teaching", and I am definitely a student. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:00 PM   #14

http://www.adorama.com/SG135400DOM.html

It looks like they're taking orders already for that 135-400mm lens, though they ae NOT in stock yet.

And it sounds like the four-thirds sytem ought to be good for this type of photography, if/when they get the right lenses available. And while a lens with a longer reach might be even more ideal, it's a shame there isn't currently any inexpensive 70-300mm in four thirds which would appeal to many beginners.

The Sigma 70-300 APO is one of the better values for a lens in that range, for around $200. You would think, with it covering such an obvious gap in the four-thirds lineup, that they might have a priority on getting that one released in four-thirds?

I just sent them an email ([email protected]) requesting it.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:20 PM   #15

Doug

Couldn't put it better myself - well said mate!

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:42 AM   #16

Hi kenbalbari!

Wow. I didn't know that lens at Adorama even existed for 4/3. Good price too. I've been saving up for the Zuiko 50-200 which is like $1000 (CAD)+ for me. OUCH!

I'm just curious about why the price difference, so I guess I'll be checking out comparisons/reviews between the two.

I'm a total beginner myself, and my primary interests are nature shots (not necessarily birding though, but other larger animals). As far as animals go, I've been practicing at the local zoo. At times it was frustrating trying to get that extra "reach" (beyond fencing, wires, ropes, etc. to avoid Photoshopping those out). I've been trying to make the shots as though I were sitting/standing near the subject. Sometimes it worked, especially in the open spaces, but a longer lens than the 40-150 would help for sure in other spaces.

Paula

FLICKR: pmbpro

:|
pmbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:36 PM   #17

The main reason for the price difference between the Sigma 135-400mm and the 50-500mm is that it's much harder to make a good lens with a 10X zoom ratio than to make a good lens with a 3X zoom ratio. It's also possible that Sigma's mechanical tolerances and/or QA processare tighter on the 50-500mm since it's part of their premium EX line, while the 135-400 is not.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:57 PM   #18

Hi Doug. Thanks for the explanation. The biggest thing I hear about the Zuiko lenses is the price. From what I've seen though of various samples, it seems like it's worth the money because the quality is excellent. It's just too bad I can't afford them...yet. :-)

Quote:
Yes, I have the 40-150. Doesn't seem long enough.
Hi Donna. That's a very nice bird shot you posted, and with the kit lens too!!

I can understand your frustration though, about not being able to fill the frame from where you're located. I've had that happen too, and end up having to crop if I need to use the image in a project. I try not to have to do that, but it's either that, or major Photoshopping, or keeping distracting stuff in the photo...

I'm trying to learn to shoot with minimal PP, getting as much "in camera" as I can. Boy is that ever harder than it looks... :?

Paula

FLICKR: pmbpro
pmbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:56 PM   #19

Even if you could afford to spend over $5000 on a long lens, Olympus doesn't make anything longer than 300mm, which is barely at the short end of adequate for birding.

If you want, you can get a Sigma zoom that gets to 500mm for under $1000 dollars, or one that gets to 400mm for under $600. Olympus' 400mm and 500mm lenses are priceless, because they don't exist.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:54 PM   #20

I am taking notes Doug...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote