Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:06 PM   #41

Quote:
the problem is, there is no such thing available in the 4/3 system
There is in the legacy lense department, such as for example the Tamron lenses I describe above.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:31 PM   #42

However, as I pointed out, one needs to go to manual focus to use any of these legacy lenses. And in addition to the fact that this is tough when shooting moving wildlife in any case, there are also limitations imposed by the E-500's small viewfinder when trying to manual focus (although a Katz-Eye screen might alleviate some of these).
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:21 PM   #43

I just got the olympus e-500 with 2 lens kit about 2 weeks ago and love it so far. This is my first dSLR so i'm still inthe learning phase. All the advice and tips/tricks i've read so far here have been great. Since this topic taled about bird photography earlier i thought i'd post some results i got using the 40-150mm thats included with the kit. I shot these from a moving boat and the birds were flying along side. Shutter 1/800 sec, f4.5, iso 100, zoomed all the way in on the 150mm lens.I was very impressed with the quality of the image under the circumstances of moving bird, moving boat, and value lens. Much better than my cheapie kodak 4mp point and shoot.

Attached Images

drquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:23 PM   #44

pic 2
Attached Images

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:23 PM   #45

pic3
Attached Images

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:43 PM   #46

Well, I think you did a very good job with that lens. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:45 AM   #47

drquest,

Very nice! I like all three shots but I like the third one the best because it has more elements of interest and wonderful compostion. A good testament of howsweet the Oly "kit" lens are in the hands of a good photographer. Keep up the good work.
campoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 4:31 AM   #48

Hello,

I have now a Fuji FinePix S5500 with 10x optical zoom capability and 4 Megapixels.

I like to photo birds and with the Fuji and I get good results.

I want to update and get a Digital SLR and the OLYMPUS E500 TRIPLE LENS KIT WITH 35mm MACRO, 14-45mm & 40-150mm LENSES, $1349 AU ( This is all I can afford ) seems from my reseach to be a great camera,
but I am worried because I don't know how the 150mm lens compares with the Fugi 10x zoom, I don't want to go backwards.

Have you any Ideas ?

Regards,
Rodney.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:59 AM   #49

Rodney,

I am not sure, others can help you more, but the 150 is not equal to the 10x zoom. you could buy the 50-200, but it is expensive (but good)...I have the same problem. I also have a pana 12x zoom which is very nice and I can't afford to repeat that on my e-500. So I use both. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote