Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:24 PM   #1

Is there anything I can do to extend the reach of my 40-150 kit lens. Thanks, Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:08 PM   #2

You don't add anything to the front of an slr lens other than a filter-type accessory, or you'll possibly damage the camera and/or lens.Add on lenses are strictly for digicams.

SLR makers do make tele converters that fit between the camera and lens. Olympus makes one, but it ain't cheap...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

That is a 1.4 converter, meaning you multiply the focal length by 1.4, so your 40-150 would become a 56-210 zoom. That's the good part. The bad part is a 1.4 teleconverter of any brand also makes the lens one stop slower, so your f3.5-4.5 lens is now something like an f5-6 lens(not exact, but close). The lens this really shines with is the 50-200 f2.8-3.5. Lots of owners of that lens use this TC. Many tele converters degrade image quality..depending on the quality of thetele converterthe amount of quality loss varies from minimal to bad. The Olympus TC from what I've seen is about as good as they get.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:40 PM   #3

Thanks Greg...I will check out the link. Donna

p.s. I did check it out and I might as well save my money for another lens. Donna
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:59 PM   #4

Quote:
That is a 1.4 converter, meaning you multiply the focal length by 1.4, so your 40-150 would become a 56-210 zoom. That's the good part. The bad part is a 1.4 teleconverter of any brand also makes the lens one stop slower, so your f3.5-4.5 lens is now something like an f5-6 lens(not exact, but close).
Yes, and I was informed that it can only work with *manual* focus on the 40-150. I had emailed Olympus just last week asking about this teleconverter for this lens, and they confirmed this. It will work, but only in manual focus.

Quote:
p.s. I did check it out and I might as well save my money for another lens. Donna
I agree. I feel the same. I figured I could get the 50-200 lens first, and *if * I ever needed more reach, then I could get the teleconverter for it (instead of the other way around)...

Paula
pmbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:56 AM   #5

Thanks Paula, that confirms it for me. Donna