Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:18 PM   #1

Hi, I have some money to spend on a zuiko lens for my e-500 and I am considering the 50 mm for landscapes maybe macros...any comments. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:33 PM   #2

IMHO, the 50mm is too long for most landscapes. But it makes an excellent choice for Macro or portrait work.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:38 PM   #3

okay Doug how about the 14-54...I have about 450.00 to spend on my camera, and since the longer lens are out for now...I have posted some landscapes on the forum using my 14-45 and its not bad...just wanted an upgrade. I am thinking I may be using the kit lens forever!!! donna
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:16 PM   #4

Sigma too have a 30mm f1.4 ... but still too long for landscapes ... and really dunno
how the lense performs/behaves.

BTW ... you take good pics with the kit glass. Save the money for the Leica IS.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:19 PM   #5

Yep, I am beginning to think it 's me and the kit lens forever. Must be some greater power at work here...just kidding. donna
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:15 PM   #6

Have the focal lengths on the kit lensbeen working for you for what you've wanted to shoot? Asked another way, you haven't found yourself wanting to go wider than 14mm, right?

There are three things I can think of the 14-54 Zuikowill do better than your kit lens...

1. Speed. It's faster at all focal lengths

2. Better built, with gaskets for shooting in inclement weather, be it sand , snow or rain.

3. At the wide angle end, distortion is much better controlled

Whether those things are worth it to youto spend what it'll cost to get is, I guess, a question only you can answer. Stopped down, the 14-45 kit lens and 14-54 will perform very closely alike.

If you've had an itch to shoot a little wider than 14mm, I'd be looking for a second-hand 11-22 Zuiko. I've heard people (maybe it was Doug) say they've been available used for around $500-$550. It's a honey of a lens from everything I've seen.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:30 PM   #7

In fact, I paid around $510 plus shipping for mine, bought used in legit Mint- condition off of ebay. It can also be gotten for $638 new on buydig.com

For me, the 11-22 is the perfect landscape lens, and also makes a great compliment to the 40-150. But I am and have been a serious wide angle shooter for a while - and I have no issue with the gap from 22 to 40 mm. In film land, I often would shoot with just a 28mm and 90mm as my main lenses, so I was used to thinking in terms of either wide or moderate telephoto perspective. And I DO use a separate manual focus macro lens (used 55mm Micro Nikkor lenses are great, and can be easily found for well under $75) and manual focusing in macro shooting is easier than for general purpose subject matter.

But for most folks, I also think that the 14-54 is a good choice too, and is also a more than passable AF macro lens.

Choosing between 14-54 and 11-22 is a personal choice. What was right for me personally might well not be right for most folks.

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
If you've had an itch to shoot a little wider than 14mm, I'd be looking for a second-hand 11-22 Zuiko. I've heard people (maybe it was Doug) say they've been available used for around $500-$550. It's a honey of a lens from everything I've seen.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:20 AM   #8

Donna, I enjoy the photos that you post! I am a new E-330 user and on another forum I was told how great the 14-54mm lens was and you know what...it is a Fantastic lens! I got it at buydig and have now bought several lenses from them. They are cheaper than anyone else and they have great customer service. My 14-45 kit lens now sits in the box it came with. Along with the ZD50mm macro, the ZD50-200mm and the ZD14-54 I am very happy withmy assortment. One of these days I might get that 11-22mm because I hear so many good things about that one.
netzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:06 AM   #9

Yes, I am seriously considering the 14-54 and I will definitely check out Buydig...I have also bought a nikkor adapter and a nikkor lens to try and also a OM adapter and a 35mm lens to try...hope I can see to focus manually...dg
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:38 AM   #10

FYI, she's buying my spare Nikon to 4/3 adapter and 55mm Micro-Nikkor lens as a low risk sub-$100 experiment in using a manual focus macro lens on her e-500.

I believe that she'll have a much better understanding of whether or not using legacy lenses is a feasible option or not for her and her camera after that in a range of different areas after playing with this combination for a while.

IMHO, Macro is the main area where manual focus still might be a better alternative than autofocus on today's cameras.