Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:00 PM   #1

I have put off this question, feeling it should have been obvious...but it isn't. When I frame a picture, focus and meter...does it show me somewhere in the viewfinder what my exposure is...on my old nikkormat, there was a needle in the side of the viewfinder that registered (+) or(-) to show where exposure was. It was simple but effective. You then either changed your shutter speed or turned the aperture ring. Is that kind of info available on the e-500 before you take your picture. Sorry for asking something I should know by now...

Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:54 PM   #2

Listen (or read), there are no dumb questions.

The only time that it is displayed is when you are in manual mode...it is displayed as only a number in the view finder from -5.0 to +5.0. When you have the control panel on (the LCD monitor) as well as the number there is also a bargraph displayed.

Now the reason why it's only displayed in manual mode and not in A, S, P, or any other automatic or scene modes is the camera always adjusts itself for optimum exposure, and lets you know if you are beyond its setting capability by flashing either the shutter speed or aperture setting to let you know the exposure is beyond the range the camera can set itself to.

Also in everything automatic there is the exposure compensation...in that situation YOU are telling the camera to compensate for its optimum exposure by 1, 1/3, or 1/2 of a stop (depending on what the default fraction is set to in the menu) and again it has a -5.0 to +5.0 stop range. In this case it will display that number in the viewfinder to let you know that you are not at 0.0 or the optimum camera exposure setting but above or below it.

Hope that makes sense.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:40 PM   #3

Perfectly. Now since you were so good with that one, how about how I can separate an adapter for its rear lens cap. Bought an lens, 55mm Nikkor and adapter for the oly and can't get the adapter and lens cap to separate. When I take off the cap the adapter comes with it. donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote