Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:34 PM   #1

Any recommendations for a realtively fast (realtivley inexpensive) prime lens for E-500?
fingersonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:14 AM   #2

I just bought a Nikkor 55mm lens and a Oly OM 50mm lens, the later not here yet. The Oly was under 55.oo . donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:24 AM   #3

Wow! Thanks Donna
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:18 PM   #4

FYI, pretty much any good 50mm manual focus lens will give good results on these cameras if you get the right adapter for it, and you are comfortable doing manual focus on them.

I have tested the following, and they are all excellent:

Olympus 50mm f1.8, Olympus 50mm f1.4

Nikon 50mm f2, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 50mm f1.4

Pentax 55mm f2, Pentax 55mm f1.8, Pentax 50mm f1.4

Leica Summicron 50mm f2

Other than the Leica, all of these lenses are available used for extremely cheap.

The f1.4 lenses typically sell for under $60, the f1.8 or f2 lenses typically sell for under $25 (the adapter itself usually costs more).

Unfortunately, there is no adapter for Canon lenses, and the adapter for Minolta lenses is very expensive because it's only sold by one source. But, the adapters for Olympus OM, Nikon F, Pentax M42 (screw mount), Pentax K-bayonet, Leica R, and Contax/Yashica lenses are all quite inexpensive off ebay.

DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:11 PM   #5

Hi Doug

Thanks for the tips on the lenses! I'm planning to dip my toes into picking up a nice OM or Nikkor.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:19 PM   #6

Don't overlook the Pentaxes. Of all the ones I have, the ones I prefer using are the Pentax M42 screw mount lenses. They are mechanically and optically excellent, and DIRT cheap at any used camera show.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:23 PM   #7

O.K. another question(Please bear with me)

If I get one of the older OM, Nikon Petax etc lenses.

I know it is manual focus, no problem. But lets say the camera is in Aperture priority mode, as I adjust the aperture, the camera will still fuction to set shutter speed....right?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:50 PM   #8

Yep, that's exactly how the Olympus cameras work with these older manual lenses in aperture priority mode - and aperture priority mode is the way I recommend using them. In practice, the metering is alot easier than the focusing - it's actually quite easy to get the hang of it.

I usually shoot with these older lenses either at the widest aperture, or stopped down just 1 or 2 stops (unless I am shooting macro with a tripod, then I might stop down all the way to f16 or f22 to get great depth of field).
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:44 PM   #9

And Doug, there is a Pentax to oly mount right....donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:53 PM   #10

There are two. Pentax changed their lensmount in the early 1970s from screw thread to Bayonet mount. There's a Pentax M42 screw thread to 4/3 adapter, and a Pentax K-bayonet to 4/3 adapter.

I really like the older Pentax Screw thread lenses - they are as superbly made as Leica lenses, and since the mount got abandoned, they are amazingly cheap on the used market.

I have a Pentax 55mm f1.8 lens and a Pentax 200mm f4 lens that I paid well under $20 each for at used camera fair, and the mechanical precision quality of them is just incredible - and they are also optically excellent. The adapters sell for more than the lenses!