Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:49 PM   #1

Here is a tiny flower. donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:50 PM   #2

second try. donna
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:59 PM   #3

Oh my gosh, D. Ann!! Those are incredible shots!!! Those are the kind of shots i am wanting to take....I have the E-500 2 lens kit......but I want to be able to do exactly what you shot....I don't post much here more of a lurker to read and learn.....I am so new to my dSLR......How far awy from the flowers were you and please tell me what you have used to get these shots.....

Here's one of my favorite pics I took recently...
Attached Images

Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:03 PM   #4

That's a great shot! I just bought a nikkor 55 mm lensand adapter to 4/3rds from someone on this forum. It's good for macro and I guess portraits. Have to manually focus and I am getting used to that. Slim plane of focus to work with. This is my first foray into manual lens for the e-500. donna
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:16 PM   #5

Donna, those are really excellent first efforts.

FYI, Duchie, she's using a used manual focus 55mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor, and a Nikon to 4/3 mount adapter so that the lens fits on her E-500.

Since lots of folks are getting rid of their old manual film camera gear, nowadays, you can get those lenses pretty easily for around $75 on ebay, and the adapters are around $25-30.

IMHO, Macro lenses are the BEST manual focus lenses to try on the current Olympus cameras, if you are interested in experimenting. The other good lenses to try are fast 50mm lenses, which make good portrait telephotos and are dirt cheap to buy used, because there is an over-supply on the 2nd hand market.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:36 PM   #6

I'm going to open my own thread about his as I don't want to hijack Donna's .....

Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:19 PM   #7

Donna,

How do you find the focusing? I mean is it like an regular old manual focus SLR or more challenging to see the focus?
fingersonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:23 PM   #8

For me a bit more challenging. I am thinking about the eye-cup...but not bad enough to discourage me. The e-500's viewfinder is a bit small...but outside is better, just have to play with it. It has been great fun, because the lens are mostly inexpensive and so you can afford to take a chance...donna
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:38 PM   #9

I actually use an aftermarket accessory known as a Katz-Eye focusing screen which I had installed in one of my E-300 bodies - but that gets into some real money - like $150 including installation and shipping.

www.katzeyeoptics.com

If the price tag of $95 plus around $50-55 for installation and shipping your camera doesn't make you balk, I can endorse their product and their company enthusiastically.

I probably would not have made that extra investment JUST for the Macro lens, but I was also planning on using some long telephoto lenses for shooting wildlife (I posted a shot of a hummingbird that I took with it earlier), and for that, it was worth the extra, because the manual focus 300mm f2.8 Nikkor lens I use cost me $350 with a busted auto diaphragm that isn't needed with the 4/3 adapter, while the new Olympus 300mm f2.8 autofocus lens sells for $7000.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:42 PM   #10

Doug I check with the Katz eye people and they said they were working on one for the e-500 and would email me when it was available. What about the eye cup...any good? Hey I thought you were gone already....donna