Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:10 AM   #11

And does

Tamron use the same nikon adapter...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:33 AM   #12

I have the 35mm macro (Zuiko) and can vouch for the fact that it will focus VERY close and is VERY sharp. The price is right, too.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:41 PM   #13

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
And does

Tamron use the same nikon adapter...Donna
It depends - Tamron is a 3rd party lens brand thatmakes lenses in all different lensmounts - and their old manual focus lenses have mounts thatare in fact interchangeable. My Tamron has a Pentax M42 mount on it, so it uses the Pentax adapter. If the Tamron had a Nikon mount on it, it would use the Nikon adapter - etc. etc.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:47 PM   #14

THanks everyone for the advice.....I didn't end up bidding on that item..but I am going to get me a new lens........
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:09 AM   #15

Quote:
I think that 35mm is a bit too short to give enough working distance when using macro - especially if you are shooting shy critters like insects
I have read that before, but luckily I didn't read it before I went out and did do some macro photos of insects as that might have discouraged me.

Go and look at my photoblog at http://jorgen.photoblog.com for what you can do with the 35mm - they are as far as I remember all cropped very little and only to improve the composition. I plan to later upload some 1:1 photos with the 35mm (and at some time probably also some taken at 1.2 meters distance with an old OM 350mm tele with macro ability).

But, yes, the digital 50mm macro will give more working distance, but you would need extension tubes to get 1:1 and you would then lose aperture and some working distance. Also remember that the more tele you have in the macro, the more difficult it is to take handheld shots. Apart from that, the 50mm is a lovely lens, but also very expensive.

Jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:55 PM   #16

I wasn't referring to the Olympus DZ 50mm lens as a better choice than the 35mm lens, although it is, due to the larger max aperture. I was referring to the 55mm Micro Nikkor which Donna bought from me, and the even longer 90mm Macro that I use. Each of these costs alot less than any of the digtal zuiko macros, and both of those provide significantly more working distance than the Olympus 35mm lens - and IMHO,using manual focus is not a disadvantage at allin Macro work.

As for 1:1 it's no big deal, since one is clearly blowing the image up anyways from the 4:3 format, much more so than from the 35mm format. In fact, 1:2 life size in 4/3 will blow up to a full monitor or 8x10 print just slightly larger than 1:1 in 35mm will.

As for your shots, they are quitenice, but as someone who isalergic to bee stings, I would certainly wish for more working distance from that wasp than the 35mm offers.

DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote