Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:46 PM   #1

lenses as per D. Ann's thread about her new Nikkor lens. Is that lens strictly for macro/micro shots or can it be used for portraits and landscapes, etc.

I've been considering this lens.....

http://www.vistek.ca/details/details.aspx?WebCode=224025&CategoryID=ProPhot oCameraLenses

Is there a less costly way to go? A better way? PLease advise a newbie. I just know that I want to be able to take shots like D. Ann did....

Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:52 PM   #2

Well, the Olympus 35mm Macro is a good lens, and you get Autofocus and the automatic aperture linkage.

But my issue with it is that I think that 35mm is a bit too short to give enough working distance when using macro - especially if you are shooting shy critters like insects - who tend to fly away if you are too close to them. Also, when you get too close to the subject, you and your camera might cast a shadow over the subject you are shooting, thus ruining the lighting. And I also think that macro is the one area where manual focusing is actually an ADVANTAGE, compared to AF.

I personally would recommend at least a 50mm lens for macro in 4/3, and 90-100mm is even better. The reason that my 55mm was available to sell to Donna was that I usually use a 90mm Macro lens (from Tamron) myself.

The lens I sold Donna is also useful for portraits and normal subject matter that a short telephoto can be used for. It's a little too long for most landscapes when used on a 4/3 camera.

I don't think that the same lenses are good for Macro and for Landscapes - because Macro is better with a short telephoto, and Landscapes are generally better with a wide angle lens.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the grest information, Doug....I went to ebay.ca (I'm in Canada) and saw this.......is this what you are talking about? Then I need the adaptor to fit 4/3 mount, right?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nikkor-50mm-f1-4-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:09 PM   #4

That Nikon lens is a fast 50mm normal lens, but it's not a Macro lens - you can use it for extreme close ups with adapters, but it won't be as sharp as the lenses that are specialized macro work.

The lens that Donna's using is called a Micro Nikkor. If you do an ebay search for:

55mm Micro Nikkor

you will see several of them on ebay - they will probably end up selling for prices between $65 and $100 unless they are in nearly mint condition. And then you also need a Nikon to Olympus 4/3 adapter, that will end up costing another $25-30.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5

ok, got it.....I'll try another look....
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:20 PM   #6

Like this???

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nikon-Micro-Nikko...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:21 PM   #7

The 55 micro is a great lens had one year ago with a Nikon systems and love that lens. Donna's pics have us all wanting one!
fingersonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:47 PM   #8

Yes Duchie, that's the lens I was talking about - and that Buy Now price seems to be a good deal. If I were you though, I'd contact the seller first, because they seem like they might be a bit sketchy selling to Canada, and they don't accept PayPal.

If they agree to reasonable payment methods and and shipping to you in Canada, and you get a good feel from communicating with them, that looks like a very good deal. But I have to admit, I saw that listing and I was slightly queasy about the seller's terms of doing business internationally.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:59 PM   #9

BTW, the reason my 55mm Micro Nikkor lens was available for me to sell to Donna was that I also have a really excellent Tamron 90mm f2.5 SP Macro manual focus lens that I use for my Macro work. FYI, these go for $150 or so used, and they are available in most manual focus mounts. Here's an example using that lens:
Attached Images

Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:33 AM   #10

DougJGreen wrote:
Quote:
If I were you though, I'd contact the seller first, because they seem like they might be a bit sketchy selling to Canada
If that guy is sketchy about selling to Canada then he probably shouldn't have listed the lens on the Canadian EBay site (note ebay.ca) .
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote