Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:05 PM   #1

The manual focus seems a bit slow to me. Is this something I will get used to as I become more comfortable with the camera, or is it something peculiar to the E-500 or dSLR cameras in general? I'm really hip to this camera in the short time I've had it, and the learning curve is far less complicated than I thought it would be when I first opened up the Advanced Manual. Not too impressed with Olympus Master, though. It seems far more efficient to access and move the images as a removable drive.
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:42 PM   #2

It's only as fast or slow as YOU are. The manual focus is SPEED SENSITIVE (at least with Zuiko lenses).

If you rotate the ring quickly, the lens will jerk back (can move the full distance in 1/2 a turn or less). If you rotate the ring slowly, the lens will crawl (takes 2-3 turns for the lens to move the full distance).

As for Master, most of us will move the files via Explorer, and only use the Oly software for RAW processing.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:55 PM   #3

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
It's only as fast or slow as YOU are. The manual focus is SPEED SENSITIVE (at least with Zuiko lenses).

If you rotate the ring quickly, the lens will jerk back (can move the full distance in 1/2 a turn or less). If you rotate the ring slowly, the lens will crawl (takes 2-3 turns for the lens to move the full distance).

As for Master, most of us will move the files via Explorer, and only use the Oly software for RAW processing.
Thanks. I guess I'm still thinking mechanically, as I never considered that the focus ring could be speed-oriented. I tried it and it worked just like you said. But I haven't yet developed the intuitive sense of where the focus is currently set like I have with my OM-1. The lack of distance ticks on the lens may have something to do with that. With a mechanical lens I could glance at the distance where the focus was set and quickly rotate it into focus by estimating the distance from camera to subject.
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:41 PM   #4

The higher price Oly glass does have a distance indicator, but having borrowed a few of those lenses I never used them myself...if the AF couldn't lock focus properly, I'd then use the viewfinder without looking at the lens itself.

Even when I use my manual OM lens on the E-300 I never look at the distance markings, and I never did either with my film SLR which I used for 20 years.

A side note, did you know you could set the lens focusing ring (in the menu) so that it would work backwards...meaning that rather than rotating clockwise to go to infinity, you can change it so you rotate counter-clockwise...see page 129 of the E-500 manual, "Focus Ring". That's the beauty of not having a mechanical linkage between the ring and the lens itself.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote