Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:12 PM   #1

I finally developed an ISO800 shot from the E1 and was very pleasantly suprised how noise free the print was at an 8x12 size - then again I had converted it into a B&W which kind of gets around the noise issue. Obviously its not as sharp and as detailed as I'd like it but at that print size I couldn't really notice.

Not sure how much larger you could get with it at ISO800 but I'm more than happy with the 8x12 output. Not sure if I would go any larger but you never know. As a comparison from what I've seen today I'd say my Pana FZ10 in the same lighting I would have had to shoot at ISO200=ISO800 E1 and even then I'd say the E1 was a lot more cleaner.

Here's the original - taken in a subway station at f3.5 @1/60s :

Here's the crops at 100% converted from the RAW file:

One final shot at ISO 800 f3.2 @1/60s :

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2

hi Harj
looking at the colour shot it seems pretty good really
certainly E1 is in a better position noisewise than other Olys
my C7070 was terrible, but they were known for noise
heck when i bought it i didnt even know what noise was

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:24 AM   #3

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
hi Harj
looking at the colour shot it seems pretty good really
certainly E1 is in a better position noisewise than other Olys
my C7070 was terrible, but they were known for noise
heck when i bought it i didnt even know what noise was

Riley

Part ofthe E-1's ability to handle ISO 800 betterhas to do with the fact ISO settings of100-800are native for the sensor they used on the E-1. It's not until you have to jack it up to ISO 1600 that you have to enable the ISO Boost feature. With all subsequent Olympus DSLR's, the E500 and E330 included,you have to have boost enabled to get to ISO 800.They aredefintely not as clean as the ISO 800 files I used to get from my Canon 10D, but the images are definitely useable and the ones I've printed look great.

I've found ISO 800 on the E-1works well as long as you don't underexpose. I go so far as to even set my exposure compensation to +.3 to slightly overexpose and shoot RAW.

If youmake sure to overexpose slightly even ISO 1600 canwork well on the E-1.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:45 PM   #4

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Rriley wrote:
They aredefintely not as clean as the ISO 800 files I used to get from my Canon 10D, but the images are definitely useable and the ones I've printed look great.
-Greg

What size print did you take with those high ISO shots ?

Edit:
I came across this. This was posted sometime ago in this
forum itself.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/e1-2nd.shtml

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:49 PM   #5

gaggu wrote:
Quote:

-Greg

What size print did you take with those high ISO shots ?

Edit:
I came across this. This was posted sometime ago in this
forum itself.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/e1-2nd.shtml

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
Hi, Gaggu.

I rarely make prints as small as 4x6 anymore. The images I do print are printed on 8.5x11 (A4?), but the image size itself is usually 7.5x10. At A4 size, there is a small amount of cropping that has to be done and I prefer to print the whole image as taken, and up to that size I have no complaints with ISO 800 images from the E-1. The E-1 has a viewfinder that allows you to see 100% of the image area and I typically will compose out to the edge. A 7.5x10 inch print requires no cropping on a 4/3rd's file and prints at 256 PPI from an E-1 file and 326.4 PPI from an E-300 file. Those are the two cameras I use. I'll usually add drop shadows and a complementary colored border around the edges, so the prints I make wind up looking like this on A4 paper:

Old Dec 4, 2006, 2:40 PM   #6

-Greg

Thanks a lot for that info. It sure helped me a lot

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:09 PM   #7

Hi Greg

What ISO were those basketball shots taken at ?? if its ISO1600 then very really good in my book and thanks for the tip on slightly overexposing as I've always tended to underexpose a wee bit.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:55 PM   #8

Nice to see some of your work HarjTT! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:58 PM   #9

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

What ISO were those basketball shots taken at ?? if its ISO1600 then very really good in my book and thanks for the tip on slightly overexposing as I've always tended to underexpose a wee bit.

Cheers

HarjTT

Hi Harjtt,

Those were, indeed shot at ISO 1600 with an E-1 and 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Zuiko. The images are at my website here and the original sized files can be pulled up to check the noise characteristics,

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2161005

There are a few files I shot at ISO 800, and then I moved it up to ISO 1600 tosee what I could get. The EXIF info can be accessed in the information at the bottom of each image to check the ISO and other exposure infoused. Remember, at 100% you're talking about the equivalent of a big print. Up to the 8.5x11 size I can do with my Canon IP6700D printer, these are excellent looking.

Shooting RAW will give you enough latitude to pull the detail back on afilewhere the histogram isapproaching the right-hand side of the graphand keeps the noise build-up in the shadows down some, and that's always been the key for me in shooting at these higher ISO settings. Underexposure just makes noise thicker and more ugly.

Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:41 AM   #10

One I just took this evening at ISO 1600of my cat with my E-1as he dozed in "his" chair, with a 50-200 Zuiko at 130mm. The original sized file can be seen here if you want to check the EXIF data ornoise closer.

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...15845756/Large

I shot this RAW and processed it with Capture One LE. No post-conversion noise reduction used on the JPEG file.I have not tried to verify this with Phase One, but since a recent update of this software, my higher ISO shots with the E-1seem to look better than what I used to achieve by maxing out the noise suppression graph and checking the box to suppress pattern noise.
Attached Images