Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:46 PM   #1

Hi,

On my E-500, there is noise emanating from the focusing rings on both of the stock lens. I recall it being always there, but it now seems to be atriflelouder than it was before. I wonder if anyone else has experienced (or is experiencing) such a thing. It should also be noted that the noise (sounding a little like dirt, in the movement of gears) is intermittant. It isn't really a bothersome thing, as long as it might be a normal sound of the focus ring's rotation - and not something which spells a problem for my lenses.

Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:11 AM   #2

Hey Nathan my 2 kit lenses are very quit for the most part. Sometimes I here what sounds like an electric motor, but only when in manual focus. And this noise is not very loud at all. My 14-45 is way to soft for me so I'm saving for the 14-54. My 40-150 is very sharp ( must have got a good one ).How are your lenses?
StretchMaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:17 AM   #3

Hey StretchMak,

Thanks for responding. And yes...this 'noise' is only heard at points during manual focusing. As your descriptive sound happens to be very similar to what I am hearing, I guess I can rest assured that it is a normal emanation of its (focus ring) physical rotation.

How are my lenses? Well, I (too) have been trying to hurdle the problem of softness - especially from the 14-45. This E-500 is my first DSLR, so I came into this arena rather 'dry' - and not knowing what to really expect. The kit lenses are nice, and I have gotten a few really good shots from both of them. But, for the most part, the softness is just a little too much for me. And I could couple, to that, the fact that the LCD screen does not offer an accurate representation on the level of brightness within a shot. I don't mind, at all, doing some PP in Photoshop - but not to the extent that it seems I must on nearly all of my shots. I like this camera, but I am not to the point where I have confidence enough, in it, to fully rely on it - and I will use it, largely, within the concern of trying to better my ability with it. But I find myself taking our OLY C-740UZ along for more assured captures at functions, gatherings, etc. I have to limit myself, of course, to that which would be within its reach - but it does a really good job of taking pictures.

Don't get me wrong: I am, by no means, giving up on my E-500. I have some learning, and a whole lot more playing around to do with it. But one thing seems definite, and that is the fact of my being needful of a much faster lens. So, I am back to researching again :-), and (hopefully) I will be able to get what I want/need without having to break the bank.

Blessings,

Nathan
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:30 PM   #4

Nathan,

My two kit lenses do the same thing -- sounds a bit like grinding when using the manual focus ring. However, this noise does NOT occur when rotating the manual focus ring with the camera turned off, so it's not that dirt got in the ring or something. It feels metalic or gear-ish more than dirt, and can be heard in a very quiet room about two feet away from the camera. It's likely the slow version of the autofocus "buzzing" sound. Otherwise, it can't be heard at all. In a room with "normal" noise, I can't even hear it with my eye up to the camera. But my ears may be getting worn out in my old age, and are probably easily confused by ambient noise. Haha.

I suspect you're fine.

As for being able to rely on the camera, the E-500 isn't a P&S so it could take you a little more work to learn its ins and outs. I caught on surprisingly quick to the point that I rely on it more than my P&S. Still, though, I get a few "what happened?" shots. I noticed that these shots tend to happen more when in automatic modes than when I'm in manual modes.

Good luck and I hope the E-500 works out for you!
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:50 PM   #5

EffZeeOne, thanks.

It turned out that I wound up letting my baby sister get that E-500. Her old film SLR had been stolen, and it was something which really hurt her. So, as I had been given the go ahead, by my lovely wife, to get another DSLR (more towards what I had wanted in the first place, when I bought the E-500) I let sis get it. I really liked that camera, but - now that I can afford it - will be getting a weatherized DSLR with IS.

I know that I am not long from the P/S arena - and that I have a WHOLE LOT to learn about this type of photography. But I love it, and am not afraid to put in the work by which to achieve my aim.I already miss the E-500, but it really isn't that bad because sis will let me use it whenever I may wish to.

BLESSINGS,

Nathan