Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:55 AM   #1

HELP PLEASE...!!!

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THE OLYMPUS E-500 CAN TAKE GOOD CLOSE UP PICTURES OF A WRISTWATCH...???

I AM NEW TO ALL THIS AND NEED SOME HELP ON GETTING THE RIGHT CAMERA.
:?
MANY THANKS
jwbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:58 AM   #2

First, please turn off the caps lock...it's like YELLING.

Second, the dSLR camera itself has nothing to do with whether it can do good closeups...unlike digicams that come with a permanent lens and you're stick with that choice, dSLRs have the option of using different types of lenses to do different types of jobs The kit lenses aren't really designed for closeup photography (although you could use the 40-150mm (80-300mm equivalent) at full zoom albeit at a fair distance), or since it's 8mp there's plenty you can crop to get the appearance of being closeup.

For closeup on the dSLR you have the option of closeup filters (called diopters) which makes the camera near sighted (and the longer zoom lens the better the magnification), the Olympus EX-25 extention tube (not so easy to use since you have to manually focus with most 4/3 lenses), or macro lenses (the 35mm or 50mm). Here's some links for knowledge:

http://olympusdigitalschool.com/phot...phy/index.html
http://olympusdigitalschool.com/phot...phy/index.html

and some general E-system info:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:07 PM   #3

sorry....

many thanks for your help. so the E-500 camera is the one i'm going to get. but you say it's all about the lens.

The E-500 comes with a lens but it might not be suitable for the close up work i want to do with it???

will the pictures be ok.............or do i need to pay out for a great lens.???

sorry if i sound thick! i am just new to all this.:sad:

many thanks.

Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:13 PM   #4

jwbenson wrote:
Quote:
The E-500 comes with a lens but it might not be suitable for the close up work i want to do with it???

will the pictures be ok.............or do i need to pay out for a great lens.???
I bought the E-500 a month ago and am very pleased with the camera. I do a lot of closeup work as well. A couple of weeks ago I bought the 35mm macro lens, and am very pleased with that as well. The 35mm macro runs about $200, and you can focus from a distance of about 5". I'm also planning on getting the EX-25 extension tube, based on comments I read here. The EX-25 runs just over $100. Check out this recent thread with images from both the 35mm macro lens and the EX-25 extension tube:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=36
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:18 PM   #5

I got the macro lens too..best purchase I have made lately. This is a drop of dew. Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:16 AM   #6

hello ,

Great picture.......will the lens i get with the camera be good enough.........or should i pay out for a macro lens.......and which one???

How much??

many thanks.

Thanks for being so kind and helping me.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:33 PM   #7

You need to buy the zuiko macro 35mm. I got mine from bhvideo and with the rebate was under two hundred. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:17 PM   #8

If it helps, the following was taken with the E-500 and the 17.5-45mm kit lens. The camera was in the "dummy" macro mode with everything set on automatic. Never realized how scratched up the finish of my daily-wear Bulova is! Anyway, that's the closest I could get to it, which was about 6" or so away with full zoom on the lens.

EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:30 AM   #9

many thanks.

so that was the lens that came with the E-500 ???

Thats nice and clear.

many thanks for your help.

-
Olympus E500 Digital Camera

-
8 million pixels

-
Light & compact penta-type design

-
2.5" HyperCrystal LCD

-
Includes 17-45mm Olympus Zuiko lens

-
Supersonic Wave Filter for dust

-
OLYMPUS 40-150MM LENS

-
F3.5-4.5 F Stop Range

-
21 pre-defined scene modes

-
1.5 m Closest Focusing Distance

This is what comes with the camera.....please let me know if this is good enough to take pictures of watches close-up????? like above.?

MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:26 PM   #10

if the above picture of the watch looks good enough for what you want to be able to do with the camera...then you will have what you need as the lens used in that picture is one of the kit lenses that will come with your camera.
mctrees02 is offline   Reply With Quote