Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2006, 1:26 AM   #1

I recently bought an E500 and after reading this forum for some time think I would like to try macro. As I cannot afford to get one of the current digital lenses yet, and having seen the great pictures by D.Ann using a Nikon 35mm film camera lens, I am considering getting an old lens to have a go with.
What I would like advice on is how does the old OM 50mm f3.5 macro compare to the Nikon. It is obvious the Nikon does a good job from the pictures previously posted.

As a side issue, will a Hoya Pro 1 UV filter on a 14-54 lens cause a colour problem?

Chris
fotobozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:39 AM   #2

Hi Chris

You won't have any issues using the Hoya Pro 1 UV filter on the 14-54ZD as thats the setup I'm using with my E1+14-54. Regards the OM50mm macro I'm sure its a very good piece of glass and I doubt whether you can go wrong if the price is relatively cheap.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:07 AM   #3

I have the OM 50mm f3.5 macro somewhere, but have never used it with my digital cameras. However, it was an excellent lens with film.

However, this guy likes it: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/omz.html. The article and the links also tells you everything you need to know (and more to) about legacy lenses.

Jorgen
http://jorgen.photoblog.com/

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:40 AM   #4

Thanks for speedy responses. I can now spend even more money with a clear conscience!

Chris
fotobozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 8:56 AM   #5

The Olympus OM 50mm f3.5 Macro lens is very comparable in optical quality to the 55mm Micro Nikkor that Donna was using. Either the Olympus or the Micro Nikkor would make an excellent inexpensive manual focus Macro option on the Digital Zuikos. There is really no practical advantage of either one over the other when they are used on the current 4/3 bodies. They are both among the very best Macro lenses in this class that were ever made. Operationally, they each meter in stopped down mode in Manual or Aperture priority, and adapters are available for both to fit on the 4/3 mount.

However, there are at least an order of magnitude more of the Micro Nikkor lenses out there on the used market than there are of the Olympus OM Macro, so they probably will represent better value than the Olympus - unless you already have an OM to 4/3 adapter, and don't have a Nikon to 4/3 adapter.

Fair value of the 55mm Micro Nikkors on the used market are $60-$100, depending on age, condition, and which version you get (all of which are optically excellent, and the different mount versions make no difference when using them on 4/3). It seems that the Olympus 50mm f3.5 tends to sell for more like $125-$150 used, due to much greater scarcity. If the Olympus 50mm f3.5 OM Macro lens cost the same as the Nikon, it's a very fine lens and I would have not the slightest qualms about recommending it, but the Micro Nikkor is likely to be the better bargain, simply because tons of them are out there in the 2nd hand market - so they can invariably be found cheaper.

DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote