Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:42 PM   #1

First day that it hasn;t rained in nearly a week so I made a quick dash into town. Took just over 100 shots - all shot as RAW and converted into jpeg using Lightroom. I'm planning to give C1 a go and do a comparison.

The gallery is here : http://HarjTT.smugmug.com/gallery/1827318/1/117188527

Firs pic of the day:

!. Stress testers:

2. A pic of the River Thames as the sun was setting:

3. Bumped into Mans best friend - an Alaskan Malmute-

4. Last shot of the day - handheld 1/5s at ISO 400.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:17 AM   #2

Nice shots HarjTT. The first one is really nice.
And the gallary has some very nice shots as well.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:20 AM   #3

hi Harj
i like the first too

i must say, street shooting can be fun, but i just dont think i have the personality for it. there will be a few street parties around here in the near future, i think i will take LC1 out and work on it, and see what happens. as it usually means very slow shutter (i wont go over iso200), it isnt the best metering at 1/15th F2 mostly

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:09 PM   #4

Hi Gaggu, Riley

Thanks for the comments on the pics - I didn;t get all eth shots that I wanted to but hey "beggars can;t be choosers" as they say.

Regards street shooting - Riley I think you have the best camera for the job - I'd say 90% of the people on the street wouldnt even know what it was and wouldn't bat an eyelid thinking it was just an old camera. I've seen it happen down town with a few LC1 shooters and nobody ever bothered them at all but as soon as I took out my FZ10 I'd get all of the looks :O . Thats one of the main reasons why I really wanted the L1, plus the ability to add a lens or two if you needed to. The Oly's are the next best thing to the LC1/L1. What I've done with my E1 is to camoufalge it - I've taped off all signs of it being an Olympus and an E1, including on the lens hood and I have a plain simple black camera strap which I always wrap around my wrist. I think thats helped a fair bit as it means I'm a lot more descreet and not intimdating, and if people do stop they can never work out what it is I'm using. Had the same thing at the Nikon show - was getting bugged by a few Nikon shooters wanting to know what camera I had in my hand just wanted to tell them its a smaller, quieter and just as good as theirs :blah:

I'd definetely go to those street parties and am sure you'll have a blast but like you said going to have to restrict yourslef to ISO200 I think the LC1 will do a fine job and you've basically got the same focal range as my E1+14-54 but with faster glass. What you might need to do if shutter speeds are slow is underexpose ISO100/200 and then push it in PS.

Did you ever check out Andy Piper's review of the Digilux2 or Sean Reid's on the LC1 ?

http://photo.net/equipment/leica/digilux2/

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...x2-part2.shtml

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:25 PM   #5

Very nice work HarjTT! The b/w have a classic look. Don't be a stranger...donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:42 PM   #6

Hi Donna

Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you like the B&W's - I find them pretty addictive, esp if you working on a high ISO shot. The weather the last 2-3 weeks has just been appauling and with the UK being in winter time - its dark when you wake up and dark by 4pm so when you leave work theres no time to go shooting - unless you want to do some night shots.
Here's another shot in between the rain taken last week near work :

Mapel Tree BarK:

I'm going to do a comparion with Lightroom and C1 and see what the RAW files are like with the Oly's and then decide which one to settle with. Although I am pretty comfortable with Lightroom I want to see if we can squeeze some more detail out using C1.

Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:41 AM   #7

hi Harj
thanks for the tips Harj
yes im sure its a great streetshooter
but its been busy working for a living

as it will be at night, i got worried about metering
i scored a tip of metering off my hand +1 stop
i have never heard of that before

Ill have to find some more or less stationary subjects i guess because shutter speeds will be low

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote