Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:51 PM   #1

The last two days I've managed to get some decent shots together in RAw and then PP'd them into jpeg files using Lightroom. What I noticed with some of them was the final jpeg file size - approx 5-7MB in size (maximum detail and minimum jpeg compression). Now the usual jpegs straight from the E1 are approx 3-4MB each so I'm wondering will I be able to print these 5-7MB jpegs at an even larger size A3 or higher or is printing size still bound down to the sensors MP ?

Here's an example taken today - Jpeg file 6.9MP ISO200 [email protected] 1/125s

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:36 PM   #2

in post processing you should have 360dpi images from RAW, rather than printing from a jpeg file, why not use the native adobe photoshop psd format? jpegs are for sharing on the web, but because of artifacting and additional noise caused from even minimal compression the prints will never be as good..not that you can't get a good print from a jpeg, but issues are more common and quite noticable at a larger print size. Having said that, you should be able to print to at least Super B (13" x 19"), if not 16" x 20"...
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:07 PM   #3

Hi Edge

Thanks for the reply. The only reason why I haven;t been saving the RAW files as a PSD or TIFF is simply down to Lightroom not saving any EXIF data . I've had some pretty decent results at 8x12 with the jpeg files but was wondering with the larger file sizes if A3+ sizes would be possible. I'm thinking of getting a couple of files printed at 16x20 using both jpeg and tiff/psd but just need to find a printshop that will print them for a reasonable price.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote