Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:25 PM   #1

well its that time of year folks, work has disappeared for a bit so....
not much to do but scour the internet for nifty photographic machines

there seems to be a lot of E300 and E500 Oly's out there
and I notice in particular that E300 are dirt cheap at around US$400
but I also notice not many people seem to have them here
is there something unnaturally wrong with this camera that i should know about ?
Attached Images

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:47 PM   #2

Many SLR snobs don't like the superior design of the E-300.

As well since the E-330 came out with live view, which would you prefer?

BTW I'm an E-300 owner (since I didn't like the design of the E-1).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:07 PM   #3

thanks Mike
i must say thats an answer i didnt expect
in what ways would you describe it as superior ?

i dont mind the E330 at all, not much interested in liveview, just the flip LCD which i have learned from my C7070 is enormously usefull

but my interest in E300 is purely because its so cheap
its 4x3 frame so its good for my work
for which i need a suitable backup pretty quickly

E1 are pretty rare on ebay of late, really E500 is the 'other' choice costing a bit more

Riley
Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:11 PM   #4

I have both e-300 and e-500. The e-300 is built like a tank and works very well. The e-500 does not have the same built quality, but is slightly smaller, lighter, has a larger LCD and can be costumized to a greater extent. At the moment, I mostly use the e-300. Both fit well in my hand. I can recommend both cameras very warmly.

I was not interested in the e-330, because it is missing a button for fast setting the autofocus spots (you have to go into a menu), something I do very frequently. This is a shame as I would have loved the live view.

Jorgen
http://jorgen.photoblog.com/

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:25 PM   #5

There are a couple of things to consider when using the E-300, of which I have one to go with my E-1..

I shoot my DSLR's RAW 100% of the time and the E-300 almost begs it because the average white balance is very unpredictable. Once I download the shots into Capture One and correct the color casts, the shots are beautiful, but the white balance system on the E-300 is not to be trusted on it's own indoors or in mixed lighting.

Underexposing files with the E-300is a no-no. Never is the term "expose to the right" more appropriate than with this camera. Underexposed areas in E-300 files at ISO 400 can get pretty ugly.

Metering on my E-300 in ESP mode can sometimes produce very underexposed files. Just a few weeks into ownership of my E-300 I started using either centerweighted or spot exclusively and have had no metering issues since making that change. I've enjoyed doing that so much I now use the same technique with my E-1.

Go to my website and check out the images I've posted from my trip to Paris. I came back with over 1500 images and have over 700 on that site, all taken with the E-300. I don't have them all out therebecause I did a lot of exposure bracketing and blending ofmultiple images into oneto expand the tonal range in manysituations where the lighting was very tricky, and the E-300 was a great camera to take. I typically split time between my E-300 and E-1 around 60/40, favoring the E-300 for the higher resolution, which is not a minor thing. On A4 (8.5x11 inches) paper, images from the E-300 print at 326.4 PPI vs. E-1 files, which come in at 255 PPI native resolutionon that same size paper. I'm in the process of printing a series of 16x20 images from the Paris set and I'm awfully glad the files are starting out at the bigger nativesize.

I need to get a Konica adapter too. I have that same lens as well as a normal 50mm f1.4, andI've not even thought aboutgetting an adapter!

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 6:29 PM   #6

The Olympus E-300 was a dissappointment in terms of sales volume for 2 reasons:

First off, the very unconventional styling put people off, and 2nd, when the camera was first released, the firmware was not ready for prime time, and there were alot of exposure errors that resulted, and the first batch of reviewers panned the camera for these two issues.

Subsequently, Olympus fixed the firmware, and 90% of the exposure problems were done away with, but the damage was done in the marketplace. Olympus basically gave up on the E-300 when they introduced the E-500 (which is, IMHO, a slightly lesser camera, but which is much more conventional in design, and has been far more successful in terms of sales - because it got good reviews out of the box).

But I personally think that the E-300, with the revised firmware, is at least as good, if not better than the E-500, and given the prices that E-300s sell for, I think it's the best deal out there. I bought two of them. I paid under $480 for one with the two zoom lens kit, and around $270 for a second body - these were bought as refurbs from Cameta, but they are fully warranteed, and indistinguishable from brand new.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:06 PM   #7

thanks Jorgen, Greg, Doug
Built like a tank is good!

Already having a C7070 Im used to that tricky white balance, and have the tools and wherewithall to correct it. One thing you can try is to half depress the shutter on various parts of a room like the ceiling, sometimes that will get you out of it.

Brother you dont know what noise is till you have an LC1, give it light and its fabulous, but play with the shaddow people and look out. And as to metering, I learned some time ago that the Oly wasnt to be trusted upsun, or that ESP just wasnt the same as when it was OTF from the OM4Ti, which is a camera I never should have traded.

The styling, while a little unusual, is something i quite appreciate. Ive always thought that those lower rank canon dslrs look rather like plastic toasters with a lens added. This to my mind looks like a camera.

And I read about the firmware fix... gee makes me think about the sales Leica may have cast adrift with the problems associated with M8. Theres a camera that has almost every problem you could think of and yet still has a waiting list even at US$5k. Although, it does have exceptional performance when it works.

check out this thread, where you join a discussion about the pancake lenses on Oly cameras

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1

and Greg for the lens fit

http://www.gfsnt.no/hexanon/

Riley
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:26 PM   #8

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
thanks Mike
i must say thats an answer i didnt expect
in what ways would you describe it as superior ?
Many dSLR snobs called the E-300 design UGLY becuase it doesn't have the conventional penta-prism hump (which by the way, most digital cameras don't have penta-prisms, they have individual mirrors spaced apart with air).

Problem is they have never really spent the time to get used to the lack of hump; they just discriminate against it.

As you can see from my avatar, I was a C-700 user before the E-300 (for three years), and the E-300 follows the C-700 design in several ways. The E-300 is just nice and compact (without being too compact and light), and it's not big and bulky like the E-1.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:24 PM   #9

Thanks for that Hexanon link, Riley!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:17 AM   #10

i wonder what other lenses can be pressed into service
and of those in particular, cheap high quality wide primes

Voigtlander 12/5.6, Voigtlander 15/4.5 ?

Riley