Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:45 PM   #11

This guy seems to be doing fairly well with the 50-200 Zuiko and 1.4 teleconverter..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21425032
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:39 PM   #12

Yes, but he wishes that he had more length with it (he said he wished he had a 2X, and he had to crop significantly to get that shot). I think that the Sigma's a better choice for surfing or birding, because it gets to nearly double the focal length, and in the final analysis, for those two applications, quite simply, the longer the better.

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
This guy seems to be doing fairly well with the 50-200 Zuiko and 1.4 teleconverter..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21425032
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:11 AM   #13

Iv spent a hole day lookin for a dealer that will source a 50-500 sigma af lens to fit my e500 dslr.

every one i managed to speak to has said that its not available for my camera or as soon as i mention olympus they dont want to know, can anyone point me in the right direction as i feel so frustrated , i feel like weve made the wrong choice going for olympus even though i really like the camera itself. are there any american dealers that anyone knows of that may be able to help?

any info much appreciated.

many thanks jon (UK)
LURCHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:21 AM   #14

The Sigma lens was only announced for the Olympus about 4 months ago, and has only been available for it in the U.S. for a couple of months. It's just likely that it's in short supply in the UK, and you need to be a bit patient as the product fills into the sales channel. Sorry, but you just need to relax a bit.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:09 PM   #15

Old Jim wrote:
Quote:
Which ever lens you get you willneed agood tripod.
Those were my immediate and exact sentiments. A novice trying to hand-hold a 500mm (35mm equivalent 1000mm) lens is (probably) a disaster waiting to happen. :?

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:26 PM   #16

I've handheld 2250mm, but then again I'm not a novice! :blah:
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:17 PM   #17

just goes to show persistance pays, as ijust managed to get my sigma 50-500 lens olympus mount for my e500 of the shelf in the UK.

i also purchased a manfretto tripod for around $700 which should help being a novice. thanks for your help jon (uk).
LURCHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:19 PM   #18

There's a formula that you can use to try and eliminate hand shake...set your shutter speed to 1/(35mm equivalent focal length). So with the 50-500 set to 500mm, the 35mm equivalent is 1000mm so if you can set the shutter speed to 1/1000 or faster, you can reduce the potential for hand shake (provided the lens isn't too heavy for you to hand hold).

For instance I have a 200mm OM lens with a 2x converter, and on the E-300 that would be the equivalent of 800mm, but as the lens isn't that heavy I can get away with hand holding it as long as I am 1/800 or faster.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote