Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:45 PM   #11

Yeah Riley I've seen those prints over at the Leica forum - darn impressive stuff. Would you believe that one of my reason's for going with the E1 was how similar the files were compared to the Leica DMR (that may also be the same reason why a lot of the guys over at the leica forum have been Oly users at some stage). I'm therefore assuming that if the E3 does have a kodak sensor it will produce files that look pretty similar to the M8 and without the price! Here's an example that was posted over at the Leica forum comparing the Leica D 14-54 on a Oly e1 and the DMR (via 4/3 adapter):

Oly E1 + Leica D 14-54mm

Leica DMR + Leica D 14-54

Edge, I'm with you on the ISO settings - definitely would be nice to have an ISO 50 for silky smooth images and a really clean ISO800 (not that the E1's ISO800 is bad .. very happy with mine so far). Also if they can let u create custom ISO settings in increments of 50 would be pretty good too.

Here's hoping for a cracker of a cam!

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:04 PM   #12

this is one i saw

Attached Images

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:06 PM   #13

and in print

Riley
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2006, 3:06 PM   #14

Hi Riley

Thanks for posting those -still very impressive. I had seen them earlier but there was also a very large shot of a cat and then 2 smaller A3 and an A4 print of sections of the original image which I can't now find.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:55 PM   #15

am I right in thinking the E3 is delayed ?

'if' thats the case
could it mean that they are doing further work on the firmware post the M8 experience. and by extension, there are them similarities in the chip design.

Riley
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:32 AM   #16

I've not read anything about the E3 being delayed due to sensor issues and Oly have absolutely zip on their site. From what I've read Oly were about to release an E3 last year but pulled it apparently due to the sensor not being good enough - so thats why I was very suprised that the E3 was just a mockup and not a working prototype. My only concern for the E3 would be cramming 12mp into the sensor, unless they've developed some really new tech that either Pana or Kodak are not letting out of the bag. The E400 has a 10MP Kodak sensor and I can;t remember or find out what the native ISO of the new 10mp kodak is - I had read somewhere that it was ISO 100-640 before it would use boost to allow ISO800/1600.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:13 PM   #17

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi All

As a pretty happy E1 user I've been wondering lately how many current E1/300/330/500 shooters are looking to upgrade to the E3 depending on spec and price when it arrives?
I will definitely upgrade assuming two conditions: 10+ megapixels (no problem there, of course), and substantially improved high ISO performance (min 1600) over the E-300. (Or course price is an issue, but I assume it will come down before long)

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote