Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:38 AM   #1

Hi All

As a pretty happy E1 user I've been wondering lately how many current E1/300/330/500 shooters are looking to upgrade to the E3 depending on spec and price when it arrives? Personally, I'm not too sure about the E3 mockups looks and ergonomics and think they got it pretty spot on with the E1 but I've been thinking which segment of the market will they be aiming at - semi-pro D200/5D or higher at the Canon 1D MkIIs ? Clearly they have the lenses in place (apart from the 14-35 f2). Another question that came to mind was should they have two models - one aimed at the D200 and another higher spec'd E3+ for 1D shooters or is that simply too big a challenge for them? Or should the D200 market cam be a better and higher spec'd E33X?

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:00 AM   #2

Hard to say, since I don't know exactly what it is, when it will be available, and what it will cost.

I do plan on getting another DSLR next year that has substantially superior autofocus performance compared to my E1 and E300. Whether that ends up being an Olympus E3 or a Nikon D80 or D200 very much depends upon how Olympus answers the three questions in the first sentence of my post.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:27 AM   #3

hi Harj
i think since it replaces E1 it will be pro
and by what i learned about M8 expect the unexpected

truly, if kodak are onto something new chip wise
be prepared for something with a lot more definition

but expect a few teething problems

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:08 PM   #4

I have to go with doug on this one..i am in the market for something new and i really want it to be the new Oly, the wait is really kind of disconcerting and you would think olympus would be a bit better at release times, i have quite a bit invested in lenses already, i'd like to keep it to one format
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5

I used my last SLR for 20 years, and I see no reason to replace my E-300 for at least 5-10 years.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:36 PM   #6

Hi Guys

I'm with you all on this one - I've no plans for now to upgrade the E1 at the moment but for now my plans are to pick up another lens and shortly the FL50. What really suprises me is the complete lack of info from Oly on what to expect in terms of ballpark spec's - even if they deliberately underspec'd it at least those that have invested a substantial amount of $$$ into the system would know that its time to start putting some money aside for the new cam. The other thing that seems odd to me is that they never introd' an E1+ just to tide themselves over - say a 7-8MP sensor, 256k pixel articulated LCD, the same AF system in the E330 and more focus points (now that I'm using them a few more would be really handy).

Riley, I think we'll be in for a suprise whether the sensors been produced by Kodak or Pana and I agree with you that if its a kodak and similar tech to the Leica's then we'd be in for something special and a few bugs too ! Lets hope they don't intro teh M8's banding issue and the need for IR filters :?

Cheers

HArjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:50 PM   #7

not giving away their plans is SOP for most companies
and im glad they have resisted the Mp race for now

the banding and IR issues are no brainers
i think the banding is a processing feedback, that only some cameras have, it will be a firmware fix i think.

the IR thing is because the larger crop (1.3) and the short register of M lenses (film to back of lens distance about 25.5mm against Oly 38.5mm) allows light to strike the sensor at more oblique angles.

Longer registers are more telecentric for light transport (straighter). Its because of this they opted not to have the usual 2-3mm glass IR filter infront of the sensor, which would have introduced reflections and softness. Well they certainly made it sharp, they are printing 30 x 40 prints from a 1.3 crop 35mm, approaching medium format results.

Riley
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:21 PM   #8

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
not giving away their plans is SOP for most companies
and im glad they have resisted the Mp race for now

the banding and IR issues are no brainers
i think the banding is a processing feedback, that only some cameras have, it will be a firmware fix i think.

the IR thing is because the larger crop (1.3) and the short register of M lenses (film to back of lens distance about 25.5mm against Oly 38.5mm) allows light to strike the sensor at more oblique angles.

Longer registers are more telecentric for light transport (straighter). Its because of this they opted not to have the usual 2-3mm glass IR filter infront of the sensor, which would have introduced reflections and softness. Well they certainly made it sharp, they are printing 30 x 40 prints (you mean in centimeters of course) from a 1.3 crop 35mm, approaching medium format results.

Riley
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:27 PM   #9

no typo
no error
i mean inches

doesnt mean u dont need expert skills to do it
but ive seen a few dozen images by now that are beyond sharp

Riley

Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:43 PM   #10

thanks for the info, that's some big printing..like you say though, with some skills it could be done...

what i would really like to see is some noise issues resolved so higher ISO values can be used, along with ISO 50-80 capability