Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:17 PM   #1

I've got an olympus e300 with the 2 Zuico lenses that came with the kit. I'd like to get one lens that I can leave on most of the time rather than carrying two. I've seen something about a Sigma 18-125 and the Zuico 18-180. I haven't seen detailed reviews of either (and don't know for certain that they are compatible). Is there anywhere I can find a listing of all of the compatible lenses and get reviews/prices on them?

Also, I'm looking for a flash as well. I was told today at Wolf that they don't sell Olympus, but he'd recommend an Olympus Flash for my camera rather than some other brand. Any options there? Again, is there a place with compatible flashes and reviews? Any help is appreciated.

By the way, I've done some looking around. it is easy to find one specific flash or lens, but I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 6:17 PM   #2

There's lots of E-system info at:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html

The 18-180mm lens tends to be softer than the 14-45mm (which is already soft). Also it's not very bright at only f6.3 at the 180mm end. Also Sigma's tend to be softer than Zuikos.

As for on-camera external flashes there are three basic types, manual and automatic (where you have to set the camera based on the chart on the back of the flash), and TTL (the flash automatically adjusts depending on what you set the camera to).

The only 100% compatible TTL flashes is the Olympus FL-36 and FL-50...note that older Olympus TTL flashes like the FL-40 and G40 are NOT TTL compatible with newer Olympus cameras. Also TTL flashes designed for Nikon, Canon, etc., are NOT compatible with Olympus cameras.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:40 PM   #3

an alternative is the Metz series of flash
the flash requires a module at its foot for Olympus cameras
but this is an expensive way to go
and only really worth it if you have several cameras of different brands and wish to use the same flash

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:11 PM   #4

ANd Metz ISN'T 100% TTL compatible (not all TTL features are available).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:19 PM   #5

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
ANd Metz ISN'T 100% TTL compatible (not all TTL features are available).
yes thats true
but experience with it on my LC1 in auto mode is impressive
and more precipitious to user control

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote