Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:19 PM   #11

I think we're going to see possibly 3 new bodies from Oly and possibly a mockup Lumix consumer DSLR from Pana (thast just my thoughts). Now what im a wee bit confused about is the E4xx worldwide version a replacement for the E500 and if its not will we be seeing a revised E550 at some point ? Also we know the E3 is due for PMA, so thats the second and I'd guess that they'll intro a newer E330+ as that was also intro's at PMA 2006 and I'm sure they woudl have been working to improve the design and concept behind that cam.

Cheers

HArjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:46 PM   #12

Just a couple weeks ago when this same thread was on another forum, I saw that the North American Olympus site has the E-330, E-500, and even the "ancient" E-1 (that was sarcasm -- no offense meant)!
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:37 PM   #13

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
if E3 is not out in a few weeks
the next marketing entry point is just before easter

Riley
Easter could get very late ... and yes it could also depend on when C n N
announce their new pro line up.

But I just so hope they annouce something in PMA.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:56 AM   #14

just doesn't seem like Olympus ever announces their stuff when everyone else does, so i don't think C n N will impact this...
i do plan on getting the E3 or whatever they're going to call it...hopefully the ZD7-14mm as well...tax returns are for spending:-)
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:41 AM   #15

regarding the e-300

thats what i have..had it 14 months, when i got it it was dicounted because a new model was coming out, e-330 i think, so they sell off the older model to make way for new

so eventualy they have to remove it from sites as its not available no more

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:27 AM   #16

-=edge=- wrote:
Quote:
just doesn't seem like Olympus ever announces their stuff when everyone else does, so i don't think C n N will impact this...
i do plan on getting the E3 or whatever they're going to call it...hopefully the ZD7-14mm as well...tax returns are for spending:-)
Thats a bit strange though in a good way. Oly just have a mind of their own.

Eversince Nikon have D40 but haven't discontinued D50, I was assuming Oly
would also continue the E-500 form factor along side the E-400. But maybe
their market surveys indicated something else ...

What I would love Oly to do is to introduce something like E-500 with a better
viewfinder. I'd buy one straight off.

Anyways ... it'll be interesting to see what thay turn up with eventually.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu

gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:53 PM   #17

While we're speculating on where they might go in the future, I'd love to see an Olympus camera with a Fuji sensor. Wasn't Fuji supposed to be part of the four-thirds thing at some point? It sounds as though the new Fuji S3 is pretty much a Fuji sensor in a Nikon D200 type body. I'd like to see one in a four-thirds size in an Olympus body.

I also think they have to be working on in-camera shake reduction technology. I saw in a recent review mentioning the Leica stbilized lens that Olympus wouldn't be introducing any such lenses, because they believe stabilization in the lens isn't the way forward. So I guess they must believe in-camera stabilization is. And they have finally put it in one recent point and shoot.

It seems as though the e-400 in some form could replace the e-500. But I think there is room for them to introduce an updated e-500. But I don't think they will right off. I think maybe after the e-400 has been out and established itself we'll see an e-500 upgrade.

The there's the lens wishlist. They only need a few more offerings to have a pretty complete lens lineup. There are still a couple of gaps there right now. I'd like to see something like:

15mm f3.5
75mm f2.0
200mm f4.0
12-36mm f3.5-4.5
36-108mm f2.8-3.5
90-270mm f3.5-4.5

And I want to see Sigma release the 70-300 4.5-5.6 APO.

Hopefully they'll anounce one or two at least.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 1:32 PM   #18

sadly the fuji s3pro, which has wonderful resolution, is plagued by noise issues in lower light. in contrast to that, one of the things Oly must conquer is a practical workable iso1600 that works every time just to compete with the top end dSLRs in the market right now.

The largest objection to four thirds as a system is the fact that the sensor is smaller, the nikon D70 is 50% larger in area that four thirds, yet is still just an APS C sensor. The implication being, small sensor = noise. When Oly can conquer this, the followup statement to 'small sensor' can be 'so what?", for there will be no practical barrier.

Im confident that one day they will get there or i wouldnt have invested into four thirds, but get there they must. Market predictions for 2007 say that the P&S market will top out this year, therefore the remaining battleground will be dSLRs. As dSLRs are 11% of volume, but 30% of revenues there are good reasons to succeed here.

Personally i would be happy if we returned to simpler cameras with a range of primes as a backstop to the zooms that would compare with the old zuiko range for 35mm. One of the advantages four thirds has, is the ability to use faster lenses, so i think it would be worthwhile to make progress into fast lenses by a stop or two, because this offsets the lacking iso performance.

while the iso speeds required are slow coming, i think in balance it will be better to stay the course with the kodak sensors, hoping that what has been learned with Leica's M8 can be tooled for use in a dSLR. For this sensor shows utterly breathtaking sharpness, although assisted in this by Leica M glass, and reasonable iso performance.

the wonderful opportunity for four thirds system users is that there will be a wide range of kit to choose from, for the manufacturers it means they compete against each other, unless they can significantly differentiate with other four thirds system products

if i was to have a wish list, it would include the above, and a four thirds DMD
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/DMD.shtml

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:08 PM   #19

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
That's the thing, in Europe the E-400 is the latest thing and everything else is obsolete.
And it looks like the E-400 won't be in the U.S., or anywhere but Europe anytime soon:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_E-400.htm
"The E-400 is available in Europe only."

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...lympuse400.asp
"Pre-Photokina 2006: Olympus has today announced a new ten megapixel compact digital SLR with the retro-good-looks of past Olympus film SLR's. Other headline features are the Supersonic Wave Filter for dust reduction, a 2.5" LCD monitor, three frames per second continuous shooting and an easier to use interface. In addition there's also a new Zuiko Digital lens, the 14-42 mm F3.5-F5.6 which is set to become the E-400's kit lens. The slightly odd, sad news, for many of our readers is that this camera will not be available in North America (news I'm sure that will go down like a lead balloon on our forums). That makes it the first digital SLR not to have a worldwide release, so get ready for the grey imports."
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:32 PM   #20

Quote:
sadly the fuji s3pro, which has wonderful resolution, is plagued by noise issues in lower light. in contrast to that, one of the things Oly must conquer is a practical workable iso1600 that works every time just to compete with the top end dSLRs in the market right now.
Yup, but the S3 Pro is 3 years old, and wasn't that bad for it's time (compared to say Nikon D70). The thing is, Fuji at that time had worked on using their 2 photodiodes per photosite layout to optimize dynamic range. Since then, they have done alot in their point and shoots to use the additional information to limit noise.

When I said the "new S3", I should have said the S5. Fuji is claiming "pristine" ISO 3200. With what they're doing with this technology on their point and shoots, which have a sensor less than half the size of a four-thirds design, I think they might be able to do that, and also might be able to deliver a clean 1600 in a four-thirds size.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote