Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:30 PM   #1

I am new to all of this, but with a large family we have used wide angle lense with our Olympus E-20 and hubby is looking at the evolt 500 and we are wondering if it has that capibility. Does anyone know?

Thanks so much!

Happy New Year,

The Parman's
sun_flower_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:33 PM   #2

You would want to get the Zuiko 11-22mm or the Zuiko 14-54mm lenses. I have both and they are great lenses for portraits.
netzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:39 PM   #3

Thank you so much! I am going to go take a look.

Wi ndy
sun_flower_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:46 PM   #4

Because the E-10/20 have non-removable lenses, you'd have to buy and attach "converter" lenses that would give the E-10/20 lens the capability to go wider or add more tele.

With dSLRs that have removable lenses like the E-500, you don't want to use the add-on type of converter lens on those cameras...first you don't want to add more glass between the camera's lens and the subject, second most dSLR lenses aren't designed to have that much weight added to the end of the lens...the lens first has externally moving optics and the weight can damage the motor and gears and second, you can actually snap the lens in half (and I have seen this).

For dSLRs you want to get the right lens for your shooting needs...if you want wide you get the 8mm (fisheye), 7-14mm, or 11-22mm (note that you have to multiply these numbers to get the 35mm film equivalent).

You may want to do some more initial research over at:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote