Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:52 AM   #1

Just kidding about the caliber...

The annual stock show is starting next week and I'll be shooting over the 3 weeks it is in town. There will be three primary environments in which I will be shooting: Exhibit hall, arena and barn/stall area. The exhibit hall is not a problem because it will be well lit and nothing but people and vendors. It is the arenas and barn/stall areas that will present problems because this is where the animals are. It's probably not a wise idea to use a flash around the large livestock, and especially the horses. Large skittish animals are dangerous, and horses are at the top of the list. I woldn't be surprised if using a flash is prohibited anyway. Animals such as Nigerian Dwarf Goats, rabbits and the like don't worry me but I would hate to cause a stampede or get someone kicked in the head, or cause an animal to injure itself. Lighting will range from adequate to fairly low in the barns and stalls, and average in the arenas but the arena shots are from a greater distance and won't be comparable to stadium lighting. Any ideas on how to approach this? I've got the two standard kit lenses and the 35mm macro. The idea of playing with the scene modes is looking better, but I've never used them and feel more comfortable using manual or automatic modes.
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:24 AM   #2

you dont mention what camera you have..

increase the iso to an acceptable resolution
use aperture priority mode
that way you set the aperture, and the speed automaticly adjusts
wherever you need the lowest aperture...so be it

if its really dark or low speed shooting
you could try a monopod to steady the camera
personally, i have good success even down to 1/8th sec without blur

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:03 PM   #3

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
you dont mention what camera you have..

increase the iso to an acceptable resolution
use aperture priority mode
that way you set the aperture, and the speed automaticly adjusts
wherever you need the lowest aperture...so be it

if its really dark or low speed shooting
you could try a monopod to steady the camera
personally, i have good success even down to 1/8th sec without blurey
Doh! Didn't even consider changing the ISO. I've been keeping the defaults till I get the hang of the camera. It's an E-500.

Aperature priority is probably what I will use, but I wasn't sure the shutter speed would be fast enough to freeze cantering horses, dogs competing in agility trials and calf roping. I will probably have to take a multi-pronged approach, including bracketing. Do you recommend using the scene modes?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:40 AM   #4

jimkurta wrote:
Quote:
bracketing. Do you recommend using the scene modes?
only so you can figure out what is going on, as a training assistance tool

when you have seen what the settings are, its time to take over

figure on using iso400 for best quality (in low light) iso800 when you need too

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 4:42 AM   #5

"Any ideas on how to approach this?"

In my opinion the only way to achieve the results you want to to practice. Go to the area(s) in question ahead of time and take lots of shots (film is cheap). A mono pod in low light areas will help you when you have to use slow shutter speeds also. Just like anything else you have to practice practice.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:11 AM   #6

Old Jim wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion the only way to achieve the results you want to to practice. Go to the area(s) in question ahead of time and take lots of shots (film is cheap). A mono pod in low light areas will help you when you have to use slow shutter speeds also. Just like anything else you have to practice practice.
Unfortunately there will be little chance to check out many of these areas ahead of time. The lighting is kept low until the show or competition begins, and a lot of the lighting is supplemented by skylights that let sunlight in. The only consistently lit area is the exhibition hall. The animal areas vary from hour to hour and event to event. There can be dozens of events on any given day. It looks like I will be taking both zooms, boosting the setting up to ISO 400 and hoping for the best without using the flash. It also just occurred to me that there will be a carnival set up with rides and colorful lighting. That should be fun for some night shots.

Thanks.