Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:49 PM   #1
Cop

I`m currently in the throws of researching the Olympus E500 as a possible upgade from my Oly 8080. The reasons for choosing the E500 are many. I am impressed with the build quality of the 8080 and its ease of operation. My wife also brought me the FL36 flash gun which I am led to believe works well with the E500.

Before I go ahead with the purchase though I have a few questions from you E500 users.

Is the E500 suuitable for action shots in particular motorsports and airshows. The 8080 lets itself down in this department due to its nasty shutter lag. Does the E500 suffer from this?

Also the view finder is it an electronic representation of what the camera sees or is it a true through the lens image? And if it is electronic. Do you lose sight of the image through it when operating the shutter release, as the 8080 does. Which means on sequential shooting you have no idea where the lens is actually pointing.

I also take a lot of pics of scale model aircraft such as this....

How would the E500 cope with this sort of thing and would the lenses supplied with the double lens package cope with this.

And when the E500 is put into manual focus is the focus by means of a ring on the lens such as on my old 35mm camera?

Cheers for any help or advice you can supply.

Nigel.
Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:57 PM   #2

There are a lot of arguements on other forums that Olympus is not a good camera for action shots mainly because their AutoFocus isn't as good as a Cannon (well...for now till we get an E-3). If you get one of their fast Zuiko lenses like the 35-100 f2 or300mm f2.8 or 90-250mm f2.8 (all really expensive glass) you might have success with practice.
netzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3

The E500 is an optical viewer not electronic

cant comment on E500 'in use' but
generally moving mirror slr's all behave like that
excepting E330 and L1/Digilux3, which have 'LiveView'
E330 are somewhat cheaper at the moment

that said, pan follow focus is familiar to me, and not so dreadfull.
sequential frames are pretty quick so generally are in frame and focus

Canons are the ultimate speed machines, but ofcourse shooting long is more expensive, ie the crop factor, and Canon no longer have spot metering in low line dSLRs like the xti which you need for aircraft against a sky. And you wont be impressed with the plastic build after an Oly.

There is someone else here who shoots aircraft so check by untill that person arrives to comment

nice F-16, highly detailed, what scale is that ?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:35 AM   #4

Cop wrote:
Quote:
Also the view finder is it an electronic representation of what the camera sees or is it a true through the lens image? And if it is electronic. Do you lose sight of the image through it when operating the shutter release, as the 8080 does. Which means on sequential shooting you have no idea where the lens is actually pointing.
Almost any camera that's not a rangefinder (a rangefinder has an offset separate viewfinder) will not pass the image to the viewfinder while you are taking a picture...SLR viewfinders see through the same lens it uses for taking the picture, so when you click the release the mirror flaps up and blocks off the view to the viewfinder.

I believe the E-10/20 would still show the image through the viewfinder while taking the picture because they use a split prism rather than a solid mirror, BUT they are no longer made and you couldn't change the lenses on them.

Quote:
How would the E500 cope with this sort of thing and would the lenses supplied with the double lens package cope with this.
The E-500 40-150mm kit lens has an equivalent of 80-300mm, so it's pretty good for telephoto, and is one of the better kit lenses among other brands...but it's still a kit lens. For this type of shooting I'd set the camera up in advance, set the focus to infinity (assuming the air show situation) and then turn off the auto focus, set white balance, shutter speed, and aperture in advance (so the camera doesn't have to "think" before taking a picture, and shoot in RAW (so if there is a problem there is still a chance to fix it after).

Quote:
And when the E500 is put into manual focus is the focus by means of a ring on the lens such as on my old 35mm camera?
The Olympus E-system like many other manufacturers these days use "focus by wire"...you turn the focusing ring which turns a sensor, which activates a motor, which adjusts the lens...there is no direct connection between the focus ring and the focus mechanism.

Many people hate it at first, until they realize that the focusing ring is speed sensitive...if you turn the ring fast the lens will jump...if you turn the ring slowly the lens will crawl...depending on how you turn the ring it may take half a turn to go from close to infinity, or it may take several turns. And like most other SLR manual lenses there's no stop right at infinity...it is possible to focus past infinity.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:00 PM   #5

Hi Cop

Thats a pretty impressive model mate !!

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:34 PM   #6
Cop

Cheers guys, given me some more things to ponder on. Don't know if thats good or bad. Just to clear one point up though. The E300 doen't suffer from shutter lag. Is that correct?

The model by the way is 1/32 scale and took me a little over 8 months to build. Would have been quicker but I did a lot of scratchbuilding along the way to improve things.

Heres a piccy of the cockpit.

And engine.

Nigel.

Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:29 PM   #7

Cop wrote:
Quote:
Cheers guys, given me some more things to ponder on. Don't know if thats good or bad. Just to clear one point up though. The E300 doen't suffer from shutter lag. Is that correct?
The longest part is focusing, so if you half-press the release in advance to focus and lock exposure, taking the picture is very fast. The E-300 is capable of 2.5 frames per second (up to four frames).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:21 PM   #8

These were shot with the E-500 and the Oly 50-200 lens.
Attached Images

Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:23 PM   #9

From across 2 runways.
Attached Images

Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:26 AM   #10
Cop

Nice pics Pete, answers the question about action shots beautifully.

Heres a new question then. My research has led me to alsolook at the E330. So which would be the better camera/deal between the two. I can get the E330 for £450 with a single lens (14 - 45mm Lens (28-90mm) ). The E500 I can get for £340 with two lenses (17.5-45mm / 40-150mm).

So now that I have narrowed it down to the last two what would you choose and why. And how does picture quality between the two compare.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Nigel.