Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1

Has anyone used this Zukio with any of the 4/3 E's? It lookd as if it could be a pretty good lens for available light work and its focal range at 170mm pretty decent. If so, whats it like to use and how are the results like ?

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:39 PM   #2

At the bottom of this page there are links to OM lens reviews albeit on OM cameras, but it should give you an idea of the lens' quality:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/omz.html

While you're there click on "Other Articles" for lots more useful E-system info.

One thing about the 85mm F2, there were different versions (single coated, multi-coated, etc.).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:01 PM   #3

If you don't already own the OM Zuiko 85mm f2 lens, I'd recommend the Nikkor 85mm f2. It's an excellent lens, as compact as the Olympus lens, and probably cheaper on the used market than the OM 85mm. I'm very happy with it, and it's quite good wide open as well as stopped down.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:57 AM   #4

Hi Doug

Thanks for the tip on the Nikon - I don;t own any OM lenses and if the Nikoor is just as good and cheaper then I'll be even more happy!

I've also spotted a Leica Summricron 90mm f2 which is even cheaper than the Nikkor but a wee bit more than the OM. I may even go for an Zukio 100mm f2.8 but as Mike [pointe dout theres two types here - multi and single coated and apparently from what I've read so far the multicoated lenses are sharper although I've not found out how to check.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:26 PM   #5

If the Leica 90mm F2.0 Summicron-R (make sure it's the R version, not the M-version - the M can't be adapted to 4/3) is really cheaper than the Nikon, and there's nothing wrong with it, you should jump all over it. The actual market value of the 90mm Summicron-R is more than twice that of the Nikkor, so sombody is selling it for much less than it's worth. It's also the best of the bunch (although it's superiority over the others might be rather subtle).

FYI, used prices on these lenses should be:

Nikon 85mm f2.0 Nikkor under $170 in excellent+ condition,
Olympus 85mm f2.0 Zuiko under $250 in excellent+ condition
Leica 90mm f2.0 Summicron-R under $500 in excellent+ condition

There are bound to be Nikkors out there in all manner of condition - I personally got one that would have been in Ex+ condition, except it had two pinpoint-sized scuffs on the front lens coating (which make no difference at all in performance), and I paid $90 for it at a used camera show - a super bargain.

DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:00 PM   #6

Hi Doug

I was quiet suprised the Nikkor was going for a lot higher than the Zukio f2, although from the pics it looks as if its in mint condition. The leica is a 90mm f2 R and apparently is a good-very good condition - slight wear on the outside (apparently 2 specs) and the lens front element is supposed to be very good apart a few very faint marks caused by cleaning. The Oly also looks as if its in very good condition and whats really suprised me is the size of the lens - pretty compact for esp compared to the Leica which looks as if its on steriods. I'm going to go for either of the three lenses, although I'll wait and see if I can find the Nikkor cheaper.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?