Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:01 PM   #1

Hello,

I got a new E500 for Xmas with the 2 kit lens and was looking at this bag as a means for storing, carrying, etc. Anybody here use this bag? Any thoughts about it?

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=260225-410

Thanks, Tom
DVDTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:45 PM   #2

I have one and it is pretty good. You might want to travel light with this bag.
Gandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:08 AM   #3

Just remember that any camera bag with a known logo on it is an open invitation to those you may not want to share your camera with.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:46 AM   #4

Thanks for replying - I think I may get one of those bags to see how it works out..hopefully there's room for a FL-36 Flash. Thanks again,

Tom

Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:28 AM   #5

Hi Tom

I agree with Jim on the camera bag - I'd rather have something that is as discreet as possible esp if your out on the street. Best to get something that dosen't shout out that its a branded camera bag - might want to look at a crumpler or something similar.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 2:04 PM   #6

Personally I just use a knapsack for carrying my stuff around town. To protect the camera in the bag I use an Olympus SLR case (for the E-500 that would be the CS-5SH, I use the CS-3SH for my E-300). For whatever lens I DON'T have on the camera I use the LSC-0918 (designed for the 40-150mm), and the flash came with its own pouch.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:19 PM   #7

Hello,

Thinking about it, you all are probably right, it would be better to have something a little more discreet. The hard case and lens case would run around $30.00 more but it may be the way to go. Again, I appreciate the input - Tom
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:17 PM   #8

I primarily use an older model Targus video bag (similar look to the Targus Large Expedition bag). I store my E-500 with the 17-45 lens on it, the 40-150 lens, a second P&S camera (Panasonic FZ1), a Palm PDA, and a Creative Zen media player. Memory cards, extra batteries, and even cables for each device are stored in the three side compartments or big front compartment. I really like this bag, and keep going back to it after trying numerous others (some as expensive as $150). This bag cost me $19 about 1/2 dozen years ago. I've seen them in stores (Wal-Mart, BestBuy, CircuitCity, etc.) as recently as two years ago, but admittedly haven't seen them much lately as they appear to have been discontinued. This bag goes everywhere with me since I take my camera with me every day.

I'm trying to get more used to using a LowePro Slingshot 200AW that I recently purchased for $65. This is also a great bag (won the 2006 Outdoor Photography's Editor's Choice award), but does take some getting used to with it being a sling-pack. It also holds all of the above gear plus more. The LowePro Slingshot 100AW (smaller version) would probably hold the same amount as my Targus bag. I'm planning on using this bag for an upcoming European vacation, so I'm trying to get used to it. I didn't want to use the Targus bag for such a trip. I did use the LowePro Slingshot the other day for a day trip to the local zoo, and it worked very well. I had it on my back for about 4 hours while pushing a double baby stroller, and had no problems with it just being over the one shoulder, getting quick access to the camera, etc., all while taking care of two of the four kids that were with us. The built-in weather bonnet is nice for keeping outinclimate weather, too.

I did spy a $50 Crumpler bag at CircuitCity the other day that really caught my eye, especially after looking inside it. It looks just like a satchel bag ("man purse" -- haha), but the inside is a well-padded, three compartment camera bag. I believe it was the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home bag (yes, that's the real name). It could easily hold the E-500 kit and a flash, and you'd still have the extra small compartments for other accessories or toys. Very tempted by this bag because it really doesn't look like a camera bag at all. Unfortunately, it also doesn't look like a bag that a 6'4", 240lb man would be carrying (unless it was a camera bag or he was holding his wife's purse), so I suspect that it would still catch the attention of a thief looking for tourist targets.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:34 PM   #9

Tom,

How do you like your E500? Take many shots? Lots of luck with it and we're hoping to see some of those beautiful pics. :|

Jay D
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:32 AM   #10

FZ1,

Thanks for the suggestions - the LowePro stuff looks pretty decent..I'm gonna check them out this weekend. I can tell you though, I didn't like the looks of the Crumpler stuff - one bag looked pretty good but it was close to $300.00!

Jay D, I love this camera although I'm really just a novice, still feeling my way around. I've got a lot to learn! I've taken over 500 shots with it already and kept maybe 50. I am delighted with the clarity and detail of this camera. I've read some posts where some people with kit lenses were having a hard time getting good focus, or soft photos, I haven't experienced that at all. As I go along I will post a few photosfor sure. Thanks,

Tom

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"