Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1
ELS

Hello...

Would the Olympus T-20 flash unit be SAFE to use on an E-1 and will it work?

I would prefer to get a FL-20 (as price is cheaper) than the suggested FL-36, but I need to know has anyone every tried it?

If it is a case the E-1's hotshoe design matches the E-10/E-20, perhaps someone's used it on either of those models?

Also, I've spoken with a few people and the Sigma EF-430 (I own), measures at: trbigger voltage- +4.70 vdc. That's under the 'safe' + 6vdc range.

If I had to even tape over (or block the other control pins), just using the center contact pin and the GND rail contact, would that hurt the E-1?

I've got my (used-but "new") to me ;-), E-1 enroute shipping, so I can't test it (but will need flash).
Thanks for your time....
God Bless,
Ed~ (ELS)
ELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:40 AM   #2

it is considered a questionable call

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

5-7.4V as it charged, measured by Brian Zimmerman,
only 2.6v from Greg Clark

it does depend what the safe voltage is for E300
im sorry but i dont know what that is

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:30 AM   #3

ELS wrote:
Quote:
Hello...

If I had to even tape over (or block the other control pins), just using the center contact pin and the GND rail contact, would that hurt the E-1?
All blocking the pins will do is defeat any TTL capability, not cut voltage. You can measure the trigger voltage with a simple multimeter (see your local Radio Shack). The positive (RED) lead to the hot-shoe pin on the flash, the minus (BLACK) to the metal strip on the side of the flashes hot-shoe foot (by the wheel which screws it onto the camera). When in doubt you can use what's called a Wein-Safe unit (around $50 USD from B&H Photo or other suppliers) that goes between the flash and the camera's hot shoe. It reduces trigger voltages to the safe 6V level (and also will defeat any TTL control).
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote