Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:39 AM   #1

Been reading blogs of all things, and stumbled on at least some 'apparently' informed converstation about the FT.

Beside the awaited on E3 at the PMA,
thin glass lenses?
More Sigma glass?
Another Panasonic this time with EVF?

http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/fourthirds/?p=117

5. Olympus have said quietly, very quietly, that they will be introducing ‘thin type lenses' during 2007

17. There is also an "inofficial" roadmap on Panasonic/Leica lenses and "rumors" say, that Sigma will introduce most of its lenses for 4/3 mount in 2007.

ansd is this E3 ?

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...Commitment.pdf

19. Panasonic could make an entry level 4/3 EVIL (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens) camera. Like an über-FZ model. Keep the L1.

Like some of the entrants there, I think if Oly doesnt pull a rabbit out of a at this year its going to get very difficult for them.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:03 AM   #2

Riley-

I agree with you 100%! Olympus has to do something this year to stay in the game, or they will be out of the DSLR market for lack of a viable product. The E-3 has be coming for too long and it is time to get a sensor that works much better at high ISO settings.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:05 AM   #3

Even if they "pull a rabbit out" it won't be a magic pill. Nothing at this point will make up much ground to the two market leaders, Canon and Nikon, and I don't think that concerns them too much as long as they keep their current position with maybe some modest gains.

I for one won't be losing too much sleep over it. They are going to remain in the businessat this point for quite a while but never in more than a niche role, which bothers me not in the least.I have my glass (7-14, 14-54 and 50-200), my two bodies (E-1, E300) that should last a long while, will probably pick up an E-500 or whatever newest consumer body they introduce this year, especially if it has in-camera image stabilization, so I am set.

There's lots of otherthings to worry about that are more pressing. THIS is supposed to be fun. Go out and take pictures.

Instead of worrying about the 5% of things you can't shoot as wellat ISO 1600 or 3200 (that's about all I would ever use those settings), think about the other 90+% of things that looks great between ISO's 100-400, and even 800 with an E-1:

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:27 AM   #4

i think im becoming a gossip junkie, i just love this stuff

no doubt ladies and gentlemen your comments are the truth
but its nice to see the marque you support do well
even if its just to shut the forum tourists up
and after all, in a sense we make a bet that FT is a good system
and i dont much fancy being cut off like in OM world

but more glass, more bodies, and the interesting panasonic (thats like my rangefinder concept) would be very welcome after a pretty stale 2006

and Greg, its 11% at 1600, and 4% at 3200iso

youve been busy lol, very nice images

Riley

Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:53 PM   #5

Greg-

I understand your point of view and admire your photos wheneverI see them posted. I am still having fun with my E-300 and E-1. However, it would be nice to see Olympus do something at PMA.

Are you still shooting with an Olympus?

MT/Sarah
Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:29 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Greg-

I understand your point of view and admire your photos wheneverI see them posted. I am still having fun with my E-300 and E-1. However, it would be nice to see Olympus do something at PMA.

Are you still shooting with an Olympus?

MT/Sarah

Absolutely! I myself would like to see them introduce in-body image stabilization, it's one feature I've missed since I switched from Canon in 2005 to Olympus. That's why I haven't added an E-500 yet, I want to see the upcoming new stuff too, but I typically always stay one generation behind in terms of bodies. Things tend to be much cheaper that way and it never seems to keep me from doing what I want to do.Last week I got out in downtown Dallas before all the snow/Ice moved in and did some playing around with a friend who brought her Nikon D70. The images I posted above were all taken with my E-300. Here are acouple I took just this past week with my E-1..

The one thing I have changed is how I am processing my RAW files. I'm slowly moving from Capture One LE to using Camera RAW with my Photoshop CS2 program. I'm finding the colors, ability to retain detail both in the shadows and highlights, and the Smart Sharpen filter is just a fantastic tool. I turn the sharpening to taste, and with the highlight/shadow tabs I adjust how the sharpening affect those areas, cutting down on a lot of noise at higher ISO settings with both my E-1 and E-300. Thisis an ISO 800 shot with my E-300 in Paris that I ran through Smart Sharpen:

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 1:58 PM   #7

Greg-

Nice photos. Thanks for posting them. I too, am always a model or two behind, as evidenced by my E-1 and E-300. However, I still like my photos and have fun taking them.

MT/Sarah
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:30 AM   #8

Olympus does seem to be late in introducing an upgrade for the E1. But if that's because of problems with the sensor, they're better off getting it right than rushing something to market that won't meet expectations.

As for the Cameras they have released lately, the E-500 was a great success, and the E-330 is an innovative camera that looks very tempting for what it does well, and really has no direct competition. And it seems the E-400 has only been sold in Europe partly because Olympus wasn't ready for a large scale rollout, and they realized they wouldn't yet be able to handle the demand for this model, which seems to be another attractive camera. So aside from the delay in an E1 replacement, they seem to be doing most things right lately.

As for the long run, I expect the two major technological disadvantages of the smaller sensors, noise at higher ISO, and the need for more resolution from lenses, will be minimized by continued technological advancements in the manufacture of both sensors and lenses. And Olympus will then really be sitting in the sweet spot of the consumer market, as more consumers move up from point and shoots, with small, convenient, affordable, well designed cameras and a proven lineup of lenses to match.

But it won't happen overnight. Olympus isn't going to suddenly come out with a consumer DSLR that's great for low light sports shooting in 2007. Any improvements will be incremental.

In the DSLR market, Olympus is more like Apple Computer than Microsoft or IBM. They aren't going to be on the cutting edge of sensor technology. They will instead be on the cutting edge of camera design. And they'll do quite well once the technology catches up to them.

In the meantime, I expect we will see an E3 this year, as well as a global release of the E-400 or an improved version of it. New features we might hope to see might be in camera stabilization, and support for lenses with ultrasonic high speed motors.

Apparently, they are attempting to emphasize the strengths of the four-thirds format with the E-400, and intend to support that with small lightweight lenses (including perhaps a pancake lens or two?). That may also mean some that are also not particularly fast, but are affordable, along the lines of the E-400 kit lenses. But I hope they will also try to fill in current weakneses. Mabe the E3 will serve as an excuse to introduce more semi-pro caliber weatherproof lenses filling in some of those gaps.

From Sigma, I doubt that you'll see the full lineup. But I suspect you might eventually see all of their DC lenses, which are supposed to be designed for digital cameras with smaller sensors. Which means all of 11 lenses, 7 of which are already available or announced. The four remaining candidates would be the 10-20 f4-5.6, the 17-70 f2.8-4.5, the 18-200 f3.5-6.3, and the APO 50-150 f2.8. Other good candiadtes besides those might be the 70-200 f2.8, the new 70mm f2.8, and the APO 70-300 f4-5.6.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 3:27 AM   #9

One of the things they might get away with
is to have a weak AA filter much like was done in M8
as this is 1/2 the trick to M8's astounding resolution

Kodak having gone through the process with M8
and if you are not aware, trust me it was heck
would be able to advise on correcting the negative effects to that

so put the thin AA filter (from M8,)
added resolution of 10Mp (from E400)
superiority of Olympus glass
then all that is left to conquer is noise,
a situation we just cant be aware where the future lay
but if incamera processing can get one more stop out of it
they would have the 1600, sans some detail

then, small sensor or not
it would rate pretty highly resolution wise (what else is there)
likely defeating APS C rivals
but FF only when ultra-wide angle and wide open
this would give them the comfortable edge required
and with other system improvements put them back in the game
it is being said already that Sony has done its dash with the dSLR

given something in that order happens
and despite Greg grumbling about 'dam the technology full speed a head'
I would feel a bit safer to commit having some direction a year or 2 from now

Riley