Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:23 PM   #1

I have been taking ringside (elbows on the apron) photos at local boxing and kick-boxing events. I've been using my E-500 with the 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 lens. We can't use flash and the lighting is pretty bad. Anyone out there have an opinion, either way, of picking up the 50mm lens for the extra f stop? I see you all using it for close-up and/or portraits. Not sure if it's a viable lens for the lighting and speed of these sports. I'd prefer to stay with this set-up and not go the Canon route.
As always, thanks for the insights and help.
Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:33 PM   #2

use exposure compensation, shoot in RAW format, use Adobe Lightroom Beta to correct exposure, stick with what you have for now...the 50mm is nice but you can get some fantastic shots with what you have already

why can't you use flash, that's kinda goofy for a fight?

-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:51 PM   #3

The NYS Athletic Commission hasn't updated some of their rules since flashbulbs were used. The rules say that the flash distracts and/or temporarily blinds the fighters. I haven't tried RAW yet. May go with JPEG/Raw combo next time. I do use Photoshop but it does get tedious after about 80-100 shots!
Thanks for the input, appreciate it.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:00 PM   #4

Lightroom is Beta, meaning it is free for the public to try while in it's testing stages, it will be a full blown Adobe product soon though. I can't say enough about it, the program goes way beyond Photoshop in a lot of areas of post-processing, and you can make presets for large libraries to expedite workflow..the best aspect is shooting in RAW everything can be reset to the original file spec, even after exporting and saving..this is what RAW is all about..it's a digital negative

i would recommend checking out this link, it is a good primer for those who are unfamiliar with Lightroom and there are some good video tutorials....anyone not using this program is missing out on some excellent workflow options

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom/index.html
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:31 PM   #5

Good tip. Thanks for the link.