Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:38 AM   #1

Oly 18x superzoom

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3697...sp-550-uz.html

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:27 PM   #2

Several discussions going on currently in the Olympus digicam section at DPReview right now. Quite an awesome looking body. Awfully close to looking like a Canon S3IS, doesn't it!

My only issue with Olympus digicams is their continuing, stubborn use of xd cards. They at least need to give the user dula slots to use SD cards too. Even Sony now knows their own memory stick technology will be their downfall and they offer the ability to use other media in many models.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:08 PM   #3

no one says what the sensor is yet
someone says the EVF is good so they must have their hands on it

Riley
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:55 PM   #4

The Olympus SP-550 is most probably well directed to its own market. We will have to wait for the professional reviews, but like it or not, the capabilities of the Point and Shoot group is getting closer and closer to the capabilities of the DSLR camera group with each passing day. I know that DSLR folks don't want to hear that! The only remaining differences seem to revolve around lens quality.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:07 AM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The Olympus SP-550 is most probably well directed to its own market. We will have to wait for the professional reviews, but like it or not, the capabilities of the Point and Shoot group is getting closer and closer to the capabilities of the DSLR camera group with each passing day. I know that DSLR folks don't want to hear that! The only remaining differences seem to revolve around lens quality.

MT/Sarah

No, in terms of features and thelens, this newcamerahas both anas-long orlonger reach and already hasas many features as mostDSLR owners alreadyneed, and these type lenses are FAST. Even at the long end of this lens, 504mm and f4.5 is remarkable. I've seen $499 shown as the openingprice on this camera, an outstanding deal. Canon's 500mm f4.5L was a multi-thousand dollar lens, so the lenses they are putting on these models are serious glass.Due to the small sensor size, meaning a very small sensor to cover, these faster lenses can be made very small compared to DSLR equivalent lenses and optically they are excellent.

The realproblem with a model like this is the sensor they put in them, not the lens thatson them,and this particular modelhas one of the smaller sensors. Untilsomeone comes up with a camera like this with a sensor that hasthe same high ISOperformance as a Fuji F30 (minimum)these type cameras will always be a majorcompromise in terms ofimage quality at even modest ISO settings, and if they continue cramming more and more pixels into these small sensors they just make their job even harder. I bet if someone made the best possible 4 MP sensor, even a small one,and put it in a camera like this, they could give an outstanding result at ISO 400 and maybe even ISO 800 with todays technology. Combine that with the specs of the SP550 and you'd get the attention and dollarsof users at every level.

Physically bigger sensors mean bigger image circles, meaning bigger lenses and equally bigger bodies, so makers have some hugehurdles to bothovercome and keep these models as small as possible, and they NEED to keep them small. At any size bigger than this, for about the same moneyyou can have a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D that, with includedkit lenses, would run circles around these type bodies at any setting above ISO 100.

Last but not least, remember this. All this new technology.... all this neat stuff that's making these little wonders possible is also finding it's way on to the new DSLR's. People used to talk about how 35mm film technology was so good at one point it was finallythe equal of medium format film. Well....maybe it WAS the equal of medium format film that was sold 25 years earlier but guess what, that SAME film is made in bigger sizes for medium format cameras, so there's really never been any catching up on the 35mm side of things. Same thing here. A point & shoot sensor will never technically be as "good" as one on a DSLR,just asa DSLR sensor will never be as "good" as those being used on these new 30-40+MP medium format backs.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:18 AM   #6
Administrator

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Several discussions going on currently in the Olympus digicam section at DPReview right now. Quite an awesome looking body. Awfully close to looking like a Canon S3IS, doesn't it!

My only issue with Olympus digicams is their continuing, stubborn use of xd cards. They at least need to give the user dula slots to use SD cards too. Even Sony now knows their own memory stick technology will be their downfall and they offer the ability to use other media in many models.
Amen! At least Fuji is seeing the light and is going to have a xD/SD slot. One can only hope Olympus follows suit but who knows. You'll notice that according to the specs that the SP550 is still using USB 2.0 Full Speed aka USB 1.1 -- guess they don't want you to see how pathetically slow their xD cards really are.

I know I hate to put xD cards in my Sandisk USB 2.0 reader, they seem to take forever to transfer the images. I stick an average speed SD card in that same reader and it just blasts the images over.

Sony's latest MS Pro DUO cards are way faster thanOlympus' Type H xD cards at least. But one reason that Sony offers CF card slots on their high end digicams and dSLR is that they also sell their own Microdrives and just recently announced their new line of Sony branded CF cards.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 3:34 AM   #7

I must say how much I like the Fuji F30
but i feel I would like it a lot more if they got a few details right for me
like give it either an EVF or OVF
and include a wider, rather than longer lens
basicly I guess I just hate the look of it too

I once thought about this so long I thought I might buy one and modify it
while i could work out an OVF from another older camera
perhaps even use the chassis from another rangefinder camera like a Hi-Matic
cut and shut the circuit boards and switchgear to fit after gutting the interior
I just couldnt find a solution to the wider lens part

I had looked at a lot of options
even to using lenses and mount from the dimunitive Pentax 110 auto SLR
but every case I looked at created a longer not wider lens

these days I am a bit easier going about the possibility of using a wide converter
when I get through reworking my gear for my job I might even look at that again

Riley

yep i know, some people are just never happy are they
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:39 AM   #8

steve has page on it too
impressive specs

(i thought i best return to the subject)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol..._sp550_pr.html
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:41 PM   #9

Here's a link to a hands-on review:

http://scaredofthedark.typepad.com/blog/

Looks like a winner! I think it could make a nice companion to go along with our dSLR's.
Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote