Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:54 AM   #11

crikey Mike sounds even more optimistic than i do
Ive been digging for info and have come across a translation from DC Watch

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1

within this interview are the reasons for US excluded release of E400

HEADING: * E-400 to become keystone of new generation E-system

DCW: Well then, does this mean that the E-400 will be placed on the Japanese market next year?

OLY: With next year, we will have products for next year. At PMA, we'll talk about next year's E-system. I can say with full confidence that the products we announce at PMA will satisfy our customers..

DCW: Namely, you mean you'll have products that make people even happier than the E-400?

OLY: That's right. This time (Photokina), we had the mockup of the next-generation E-1 successor, but (at PMA). we will have not only that but a new lineup of E-system products to unveil. As a result, our message to our Japanese customers is to please wait just a bit more until PMA.

There you have it, they didnt have the hardware to make enough, and I have heard the same elsewhere.

The interview goes on to say that their mainline cameras will go small like E400,

DCW: In relation to the E-400, you made not only the body, but the kit lenses compact too, thus resulting in an overall more compact system. But it will be sad if you end the series with only that double zoom kit. Don't you have any plans for a separate series of compact, light-weight lenses, thin primes and other zoom variations?
OLY: When we began the E-system, we understood the need for a series of professional lenses that matched the E-1, and we fully understand the same with respect to the E-400. As I noted earlier, the E-400 will be a series that becomes the bedrock for a new generation of E-system cameras, so naturally, we will also furnish lenses to match it. And yes, we are naturally considering thin type lenses as well.

and that OIS is coming, that might mean new lenses ? clearly NOT, its in body

DCW: You said regarding the next-generation E-system body line up that people wouldn't be kept waiting for too much longer, but can the same thing be said regarding IS?
OLY: Hmm, well yes, I think I can say you won't be kept waiting for too much longer for in-body IS.

and finaly reitterates

OLY: Well, to repeat, the E-400 line will be a keystone to the next-generation E-system. But to our Japanese friends, please just wait a bit more till PMA. We will have so much to announce then that you'll think "Wow, Olympus has been so slow to announce any new products till now, what's suddenly gotten into them??" At PMA, the impression will be so clear that anyone will be able to say with conviction, "THIS IS FOUR THIRDS!" All the products will make the greatest use of the 4/3 features, and it will be a lineup without any sacrifices.
With regard to our development stance, we have received some harsh criticism regarding the speed with which we offer products and our model change cycles. But with the second chapter of the four-thirds saga, we have a structure that will never make anyone wait again due to model changes. We are strengthening our development resources as well, so we sincerely ask you to wait until next year's PMA.
END

tick tock Mr Clock

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:23 AM   #12

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
crikey Mike sounds even more optimistic than i do
Let's just say I've had the benefit this past summer to be part of a discussion between an Oly rep and a dozen Oly fanatics (thanks to MyFourThirds.com) and that's why I have more optimism than most other Oly users.

I'll confess though that I'm just as frustrated as everyone else with the wait, but we'll see in just a few weeks what will become.

BTW, my perfect "E" would be an E-400 with the controls of the L1 so it will be like the film SLRs I've used (they could design it so an aperture ring was part of the lens mount on the body).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:18 AM   #13

First of all, I am new to your forum and having just returned from a assignment, I am just now reading these postings.

I am a pro that uses the Olympus E-1, in fact I own four E-1's. Two that have been rebuilt, my originals and two very special models that I was asked not to talk about. In addition of also own two E-330's. I also own every piece of Zukio Digital Pro Glass. Having shot Canon in the past, Canon cannot even come close to touching the quality of the Olympus Zukio Digital E Glass.

What the press have been given out in terms of release and or interviews are all carefully controlled by Olympus.
They have been working very hard in development and the fruits of their labors will benefit you in end. The press will speculate just about anything and will analyze the heck out of a sentence until its appears that what was said in an interview is now reported as something else. It that need to be first with the newest information even if its partially fabricated.
If Olympus Officials say that there will be an announcement of three new cameras then I would take it at face value.
The E-400's release later this year into the US Market I know is fact. Olympus will give the name of Evolt E-400 and will have improvement over the European Model.
As for the next Pro camera, Olympus is going to carry the E designation but the Pro moniker will be introduced. So those thinking that there will be a E-3 pro mite be surprised. I am betting that Olympus will go with the E-P1 as the name of the Next Pro Series Camera. They already have plans for an additional Pro Camera for Later, and they have been talking about that camera all along.
Ok that my Input tin this subject.
Tom.
Newsphotog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:33 AM   #14

yup, thats it ..
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:44 AM   #15

ok so whats this ?
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:13 AM   #16

ok, now im getting dizzy
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:22 AM   #17

Rriley,

The first camera is what I was shown last December by Olympus and they indicated that the design will not change that much.
The second photo is from 2002, A mockup of the first E-1 Camera. They later showed a mockup of what the E-1 is today.
The third from what I can remember is a fake, a culmination of a Nikon D1 base Olympus E-1 Body and Canon rear info LCD Plate from a EOS D1.

I would be look to the first photo as a close to the real thing.
Tom.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:32 AM   #18

that is what i was told too
its actually a lot smaller than it looks

Riley
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:11 AM   #19

I think smaller is not the case.
The size that I was shown may be the true size of the camera.
Consider this, Olympus main Pro competition if you want to call it that, is Canon with the EOS 1Ds and EOS 1D s Mark II. Beside the CCD sensor size difference, Canon packs a lot of additional features that require a lot of room for expansion. Once Canon worked out the core design for the body, they looked to that design to carry their pro line for a long time. Canon's next pro-body, will most likely look no different than the current body offered today. Because the body was designed to except future expansion, Canon is not going to go back and redesign a body that is already working for them.
Olympus on the other hand, was trying to appeal to a segment of photographers that remembered the Olympus OM-1, trying to keep the size small. The E-1 was result, but looking to the future and trying to keep up with the demands by photographers in the field, Olympus realized that a smaller Pro Body may not be feasible. The fact that possibility that the Pro Body may in-fact be larger that the E-1, is very feasible. This would give Olympus a true foundation Pro Camera with ability to be morphed internally into a better camera without changing the external look and feel of the camera. Ask any Canon Pro, and he will tell you, change the internals and make it better, but don't mess with the Body. Once you learned where every thing is, just improve on it.
I feel this is the direction Olympus is heading with the next pro camera. Some very careful, consulting with the Pros in the field and a understanding of the need to the camera to keep up the technology, I think Olympus may in fact have a true Pro Camera that will have a lot of converts. Especially from the Nikon camp.
Tom
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:48 AM   #20

I would certainly prefer to be in Olympus position in defference to Nikon

having had an OM4Ti i dont think these are much similar
it was elegant, slight and low
i dont personaly care what it looks like
but i have found there are some objections to the mockup appearance

that said, here it is in the hand
not as big as all that, or somewhat illusive
Attached Images