Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:41 AM   #21

It reminds me a lot of the body styling of the Canon T90, which I liked....a lot.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...sics/canont90/
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:08 PM   #22

Hi Riley

That E1-RS is the original mockup for the E1. From other shots that I've seen it even had a tilt swivel LCD. Thank God they changed the design and ergo though - that concept model was just pig ugly!! Not too sure on the ergonomics on the new E1-P either - I think they nailed it pretty spot on with the E1. It just fits in your hand like a glove and just looks right.

I'm with Mike on having the same handling as the L1 - would be nice to have an aperture ring at least on the new E's .

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:16 PM   #23

If you want to get down to body design differences, I will agree that the E-P1 is slightly smaller than the E-1, but the body design it self is more conducive to expandability internally. The E-1 in its design had less room to expand so when it was time to rebuild the E-1, there was some looming limitations that Olympus had to contend with. Not that the camera was not capable of expansion, many additional features that had been asked for in the camera just had no place to go in the body of the camera.
The design of the Olympus E-P1 may in fact be the answer for Olympus.
My question is what will be packed in this body?
Could we have wireless capabilities for a new strobe system and a remote storage device.
One photographer who I know was told that live view module could be a very easy plug-in to this new camera. Better yet, wireless live view with remote controls (IE Mount the camera on the end of a pole and the live-view remote control on the other end and now you are shooting above the crowd of photographers at a red carpet event.
Tom
Newsphotog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:19 PM   #24

i would too Harj

i think there are some tensions going on there
i saw that mentioned in several places
but i cant be sure because it was a translation from japanese

Panasonic have instigated OIS, in lens, as they have always done
and Oly are apparently putting it in the body, b/se they cant retrofit existing lenses i guess
more than slight compatability issue there

but yes, i would have loved to see an aperture ring on the body barrel
and a speed dial in place of a mode dial

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:24 PM   #25

An aperture ring on the lens, nope, just one more ring to worry about.
Besides, I am either shooting wide open or fully closed down.
You just can't that f2 lens for sharpness at night.
Tom
Newsphotog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:54 PM   #26

As a matter of overall corporate health, yes Olympus may be in a better position than Nikon. But alot of that is based on other business segments, like medical imaging.

Even taking just the digital camera market, Olympus has long been the #3 vulume seller behind Canon and Sony. Really Canon is the clear leader, and Kodak and Fuji are right there as well, and I have no idea what the current ranking might be between those four after Canon. But Nikon hasn't been up there primarily due to weakness in the point and shoot market--the market Olmypus expects to be less profitable than DSLRs in 2007.

But I don't see where that leaves Nikon at any disadvantage in the DSLR market. Nikon is first an optics company; they may have less interest in the point and shoot market where they wouldn't be selling add on lenses. But they also have a long history as one of the best SLR camera makers. They also seem to have a pretty strong product line there now, and have probably had the best year in 2006 of any of the DSLR makers. In Japan, I believe they have already topped Canon in DSLR sales recently. I'm sure Canon will come back with new offerings in 2007 which will further raise the bar, but Nikon looks pretty well positioned.

Still, Olympus still at least looks well positioned to solidify their spot as the #3 name in the DSLR market, if that's what they're targetting.

I think alot of the doubts some have about Olympus has been over how commited they have been to the DSLR product line. I think part of this is just that the technology was not quite matured to the point where four-thirds was as competitive as they expect it to be. Olympus was really looking ahead with this design, rather than looking for an immediate hit. But of course the constant product delays and supply problems are what are naturally raising doubts.

It does seem though, that Olympus is now targetting the DSLR market more aggressively for 2007. We'll see if the product measures up. But it seems they are commited to it.

It will be interesting to see, though, to what degree they target the pro market. I think this is in good part needed to increase the attractiveness of the brand, really to boost sales of the lower lines. People who will never buy a pro camera or pro glass are more likely to buy the consumer or prosumer grade products if they know the higher end stuff is there.

Olympus likely sees this as a potential competitve advantage. For that to really work though, it might not do to simply slap a "pro" label on a prosumer camera. The quality really has to be there to the point it's a camera people want.

If that's the case, though, there is also room then for a prosumer line, up against K10D, D80, etc. Maybe that's an E-4xx variant. But, I think that leaves room for 4 new models, rather than three--though I expect 3 is all we'll see in 2007. That is, there would be the pro line, a prosumer line, and an entry level, with an E-3XX based live view model falling in there somewhere as well.

So far, it seems Olympus has been very vaugue about how this will shape up. They're saying the E-4XX line will be there, priced above the E-500 somewhere, but have been very vague about what fits in above that.

So what gets targeted at the prosumer market?
A souped up E-4xx variant?
An E-3xx variant?
A souped up E-5xx?
Something based instead more on the E-1 (with the E-P1 initiating a new distinctive higher end line)?

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 1:25 PM   #27

Nikons weaknesses are several fold
over 70% of income is from P&S, a place where Nikon are not strong
this is capital that can be used for R&D, but not for Nikon

Nikon use a Sony CCD in all their dSLRs
Sony are now a dSLR manufacturer, so a question is
are Sony likely to upset their stated goal of becoming #2 in dSLR volume
by surrendering the latest technology to Nikon, who are in the spot they wish to take

Nikon have no other assets to lean on as they are pretty much concentrated in the camera market. This lack of diversification wont buffer Nikon against the savage competition that is to come.

On the market expectations; it has been known for over a year that after consecutive years of growth the P&S market is topping out this year. This market has been a mainstay for income by most manufacturers. hence their are now many new entrants into dSLRs where coincidently there is expected to be growth for several years.

No surprise then that there is a renewed focus from most dSLR builders. Sony (via nee Konica-Minolta) Samsung Pentax are newer entrants. Both Nikon and Canon are offering de-featured models that compete on price, D40 and xti 400. Inversley, and perhaps unexpectedly, the new kids are offering heavily featured models at a good price point. As they are all mainly APS C in size, they will all be competing against one another. The entrenched Canon and Nikon simply must lose sales if these new makers are to be accomodated. This situation will exist for the next several years. As stated, Canon are far and away in a better position to withstand this attack than Nikon.

Of course, once a customer is within the dSLR market, they are to a point locked into a system. Lenses and accessories are commital by type, or in more lucid terms, if you lose a new dSLR buyer, you also lose the capacity to sell lenses etc.

Olympus, as a part of the growing 4/3 system are therefore perculiarly placed. They are not directly in competition with APS C cameras, but offer a good starting point for new dSLR buyers. With the system growing, not only by Olympus product, but also those others within the 4/3 consortium, the attractions for a complete, modern system are clear. Olympuses inovations also add to this, and it seems that isnt about to end soon.

As customers, I guess we would all like to see higher available iso, a professionally placed camera for advancement, and a more featured AF. System wise, more glass is needed, but mostly in the area of prime lenses.

If Panasonic and therefore Leica do as is rumoured and add both bodies and lenses, it further enhances the system into a very tasty area indeed.

Riley

Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:49 AM   #28

Other than 3 new bodies - I'd like to see how Oly push the E330/L1 liveview with the next release, I'm waiting to see what these new thin lenses will be like and if they bring out a replacement for the 14-54, 50-200 (smaller, lighter but still the same speed) or even a 35-100f2.8.

Regards the Pro line of lenses there's been a few threads over at dp's Oly forum regards the 14-35f2, although way out of my reach I was wondering why Oly chose that particular focal range (apart from fitting in nicely with the 35-100f2) and also price for such a lens - some ball park estimates at 2000USD have been bandied about. Now the 35-100 f2 I could see my self wanting to get one but the 14-35?

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:25 AM   #29

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Other than 3 new bodies - I'd like to see how Oly push the E330/L1 liveview with the next release, I'm waiting to see what these new thin lenses will be like and if they bring out a replacement for the 14-54, 50-200 (smaller, lighter but still the same speed) or even a 35-100f2.8.

Regards the Pro line of lenses there's been a few threads over at dp's Oly forum regards the 14-35f2, although way out of my reach I was wondering why Oly chose that particular focal range (apart from fitting in nicely with the 35-100f2) and also price for such a lens - some ball park estimates at 2000USD have been bandied about. Now the 35-100 f2 I could see my self wanting to get one but the 14-35?

Cheers

HarjTT

About the only tworeasons I would see Olympus changing either the 14-54 and/or the 50-200 would be if they either put image stabilization in them, which doesn't seem to be happening because all indications are they are putting that in these new bodies, or if they were going to put an AFS/USM type motor in them to make the focus action faster/quieter. This last one wouldseem like alogical progression, but making the switch for many users would be an expensive proposition as the new lenses would be, naturally, more expensive than the current ones, which are already expensive enough.

The 14-35 f2 is a logical lens if you look at the competition. Canon has a 24-70 f2.8L that's a super popular lens. Prior to that, they offered a 28-70 f2.8L that's still very popularin the second-hand market.Of course, you have to have a Series 1Ds or 5D to actually get those focal lengths with it, and Nikon has marketed in the past a 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor. It is a popular focal length rangeand the rather limited range of 28-70 (35mm equivalent) probably allows them to make a better corrected lens than if they stretched it to, say, 24/28-135mm, and just imagine how much bigger the front element would have to be if they both made it slightly wider/longer AND kept the f2 speed, not to mention how much more it might cost, and it won't be cheap anyway. And as you mentioned, it fits in perfectly with the 35-100 f2 and, if you think about it, the 7-14.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:40 AM   #30

its pretty obvious tho
if you are going to market a 'pro' level camera
you need to offer some primes with that
ultra-wide, wide, std, portrait

incidently, whats that lens on the pic of the mockup, 50mm F2, 52mm filter

Riley