Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:27 AM   #41

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
well the 7-14 is probably the best of them Greg
just about the most impressive anywhere

i just bought a 11-22, due to arrive in a few days
that will do me well for work, but i wonder how the 7-14 would go for interiors
especially in the 10-14 range

kinda hard to see how all these lenses are placed within the kit
being a body behind is no bad thing
theyre all sorted by then and theyre cheaper to aquire
there isnt a big enough advantage to tempt me to E500, or E400

so later this year, maybe the 7-14, or a new body if theyre 'that' special

Riley

I agree about the 7-14. Here's a few I've taken with it...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1207184#122785446

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:25 PM   #42

Hmm, so it looks like the "official" rumour is now:

Three bodies, to match the three lens grades ("Standard", "Enthusiast" (or Pro-wannabe), and "Top Pro").

E-4xx - Will be like E-400 but will have some kind of live view. Sounds like a mode B version (wouldn't support mode A). Apparently won't have in body IS. But that helps it stay small and lightweight.
E-5xx - With live view and in body IS. Sounds like this could be less an update to the entry level E-500, and more in the "enthusiast" category, gong up agaisnt the likes of the K10D and D80. People are debating whether it should also be weather sealed. I think it should be, even if it does end up costing more.
E-P1 or E-3 - A real pro model, pro build, weather sealed, live view, IS, big screen, 5+fps, big buffer, 12+ AF points, the works. Big debate here seems to be over whether it keeps the integrated grip or it bevomes removable.

14-35 f2.0 - obvious choice for a pro lens, filling the most obvious current gap there. Usefull 28-70mm (or technically 27-68mm?) effective range.
12-60 f3.5-?? - I really like the sound of this, at apparently a mid-range enthusiast price, weather sealed. The effective range here would be a bit better on both ends than the popular 17-70 & 18-70 models on 1.5 crop biodies. Only a bit less tele than the Canon 17-85 on their 1.6 crop, but again makes up with better wide angle. Not as fast as the 14-54, but i'd guess a bit lighter.
180-500 f5.0-6.3 - Sounds like this will be "standard grade". Speculation is it's basically an Olympus version of the Sigma 170-500 f5.0-6.3, similar to how the 18-180 is the same optically as the Sigma 18-200.

And 3 more lenses, none of them primes. Also, supposedly a cheaper ultra-wide on the way. Not sure if it's one of the 6 new lenses rumoured. Someone specculated the other 3 lenses coming this year are simply the Leica ones we already know about.

The information from the original poster there was all backed up by at least 2 other posters, Olympus has supposedly been briefing some parties, whether it's in their sales chain or buyers, so it seems to have at least some credibility.

I think there was also some talk about the possibility of wireless flash, and that they may also be working on an upgraded viewfinder. I didn't see anything about any ultra-sonic focusing, but I thought that was something else they were supposed to be working on at one point.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:31 PM   #43

i see others where at the event now too
and confirms the info 4x

its looking very ~ very good

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:16 PM   #44

Hi Ken

From PanaLeica's road map - the Leica D lenses that we're supposed to see in 2007 are the 14-150 f3.5-5.6, 25mm f1.4 and looking at the chart below the 45mm f2 OIS and the 50-150 f3.5-5.6 I'd say to see those in 2008. So I'd say that the other three lenses could well be from Oly.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/pa...-4049-2-1.html

Cheers

HarjTT
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:58 PM   #45

Well I hope they do have three more lenses coming as well. But I'm disappointed they're saying no primes, much less pancake primes. But you can't have everything.

I'd guess one of the new ones would be the cheaper consumer grade wide angle they mentioned. Other then that, I think there's got to be room for another Olympus long tele zoom in there. Aside from the possible170-500 mentioned, the only thing they have past 200mm from OLY is the pro 90-250. If they're doing a 12-60, they might want to have something that's a good match for that, like a 60-240, or 70-250 enthusiast grade lens.

As for the last one, I would really want to see a fast, short tele, non-macro prime! But since they said no primes, I'll settle for a very very short zoom, say 60-90 f1.8 :!:

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:37 PM   #46

yes primes would be nice, but it seems its not to be
at least the zooms we are seeing are short and fast

OTOH, they seem to be making some quite rational business decisions
for the future will be 3 forms of Olympus dSLR gear
with pro, advanced amatuer, and lightweight, bodies and glass
all of which augers well for the future of Oly
and the continued supply of interesting product

there has also been talk of images from the pro camera around
so keep your eyes peeled for the appearance of that

Riley

Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:05 PM   #47

E410 reference

http://www.olympus.com.au/component/...ail/Itemid,69/

" The PPO-E01 is the lens port for the standard lens of the E-300, E-330 and E-410 Kit for professional underwater photography."

Riley