Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2007, 4:14 PM   #11

Hi Greg

I know that feeling soo well ! Just ordered an FL50 and I should get that pretty soon. I'm holding off completely on any lenses etc until after PMA to see what OLy/Pana/Sigma bring to the table. I'm about to splurge out on a lighting stand/brolley etc and a cheap wireless transciever setup. I've seen a few posts over at dpr where ppl have been picking up the E330's on ebay for 450 - a bit of a steal if you ask me but over here in eth UK theyre still at £650 body only.

Regards Lightroom - I'm currently running it on a 3.5yr old Shuttle XPC - with an AMD 2500XP CPU, 1GB DDR RAM and a reasonably fast IBM deskstar drive and it runs very smoothly on it. So if you got anything similar you shouldnt have any issues at all.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:25 PM   #12

My CPU is a Celeron, which is, I think a version of the Pentium III, and Lightroom specs say a Pentium 4 is required. I've got the RAM at 1GB, although just barely.

The other thing about Lightroomthatconcerns me in terms of my computer is the generated previewsthat residein the program itself. I always found myselfgoing into the cache of Capture One because I always had 2-3 GB worth of these previews on my hard drive. My on-computer hard drive is only 40GB, of which today 37% is available, or just under 14GB, and these previews reside on the computer HD, right? That could be an issue unless there's a work-around where I could house them on one of my external drives. Or maybe I just lis-understood what I read in reviewing the Lightroom system on the Adobe website.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:42 PM   #13

Hi Greg

From the specs you mention your PC looks like it would need replacing - the celeron;s a major week part in your system. I've not looked into where LR stores the previews but with any new machine, they won;t be a problem at all. If your going for a vista machine, I'd say a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz (at 1066MHZ FSB), 2GB RAM DDR2, 250-300GB SATA 2 hard disk and a cheap but decent VGA card (ATI/NVIDIA with 256MB DVI) is the setup you'll need, esp if you want all of the bells and whistles that vista comes with(a good thing is that you can switch quiet a bit of it off). It should easily last you the next 2-3 years and handle LR/Coluor One etc with ease and is pretty similar to this Dell (at $999 inc a 19" LCD display):

http://www.dell.com/content/products...l=en&s=dhs

I prefer AMD processors and Nvidia based motherboards but at the present time Intel pretty much rule on the desktop until AMD intro's the K10.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:46 PM   #14

I might look closer at E330 later this year. Depends what else comes out of the pipe.
LiveView would be useful to me for WB, and the bigger screen is just better for review, and the tilt for low angles.

you will find the FL-50 is the right power Harj
the 36 just doesnt have enough to completely fill a large room with light
Im happy I have the 36, but I really use the Metz 54 a lot more

Im not so keen to go to Vista, I think XP will be my last Windows system
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:12 AM   #15

Hi Riley

Theres a lot to like and dislike about Vista - my main gripe with the newer OS's is the amount of DRM thats being built into them and also with Vista that you don;t actually own the copy of the OS but are rather leasing it from MS. OSX is very good (although I personally would like the option to turn off the eye candy as much as possible), and I've been using Ubuntu Linux for several months now and its a big improvment over every other flavour I've used previously. However, there is no decent RAW/Image editing app for linux nad I can't see Adobe or anyone else porting theres to it at the current time. I've tried Bibble Pro and its buggy as heck.

Actually Greg, you may want to look at a Core Duo Intel Mac - you can then dual boot between OSX and windows or run windows as a virtual OS. I've seen the iMac (all in one machines) spec wise theyre good but the display's aren't.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:17 AM   #16

hi Harj
yes i find the ownership provisions unweildly, I havnt found an alternate Im totally happy with, and I need to run some windows apps.
I looked at Netwares Suse, and as nice as it is, Ill pass.

Maybe the new OSX will do it for me, but my last version of OSX really didnt, I could never find anything . and there was nothing to fix all the time...how boring

I miss systems like BeOS, which was really fast, I ran yellow tab for awhile, but no java.

Then there was ReactOS, which showed promiss but will likely be 5 years being finished.

so Im in virtual world limbo, unless i dont run my apps. There always seems to be something I have to give up, is it a conspiracy ?

heres a link to an M8 directory, its Venice Carnival, would you believe he says the lens is dodgy. Dont even look Greg, you might just cry

http://homepage.mac.com/tashley1/venice07/

Riley
Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:41 AM   #17

Hi Riley

Hey, fancy you being a BeOS user! I still think it was a cracker of an OS and like you said lighting fast. I'm waiting to see how Haiku http://haiku-os.org/ turns out - its should be even better than BeoS/Zeta (new kernel, network stack, app_server, improved BFS) and it should run super smoothly on any hardware. I've been waiting patiently for the last 5 years for OpenBeos/Haiku to get to R1 and its progressing nicely and theres even a java port thats in quiet an advance stage.

OSX is a nice OS and I've been using it for a good few years but there are things that windows does and does well. Ubuntu 6.10 is the best Linux distro that I've used and I do like their apt-get system from Debain - which deals with 90%+ of the dependency heck straight out of the box. I've had to theme it to look a bit more like OSX though - the default look was just driving me crazy.

those M8 shots are just amazing .. I need to get to venice.

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:10 AM   #18

oh sure Harj
in fact you name the system, Ive had it. BeOS is a favorite, being much like a colour system 6/7, yes I have that too, an 87 Mac SE 4Mb ram ! I have license #26 of Excel ver 1 for Mac. Sill a capable tool. The Ubuntu ver I have is is 5.05. I have so many systems I cant have the hardware to run them. Really hanging on to see what the new OSX version will be like. Reminds me I better flog my dual G4 before the new stuff comes out.

I wonder what the chances are of someone utilising the windows api. Maybe I will just end up with a number of networked systems, with a standalone lowend windows. In the end, its the software you have to drive that has to be satisfied.

M8 is a fabulous camera, that weak AA filter really sucks the detail in, and Leica glass pulls a sort of glow I dont see elsewhere.

Riley
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:19 PM   #19

i wonder what the chances are of reducing the AA filtering on a 4/3 camera
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:10 AM   #20

Rriley wrote:
Quote:

heres a link to an M8 directory, its Venice Carnival, would you believe he says the lens is dodgy. Dont even look Greg, you might just cry

http://homepage.mac.com/tashley1/venice07/

Riley
You're right. I probably would. Not that I ever could have afforded an M8, but at one time, for a short while, I did have an M6 with a 21, 35/2, 50/2, 90/2.8 lens setup that was just wonderful, but maybe just as heavy as what I'm carrying today.

I think I've pretty much decided to pick up an E-330, but not before coming close to succombing to a Nikon D200 after playing with one of those in the store, too. The thought of having to sell my Zuiko glass to fund a Nikon outfitis almosttoo much to take. That, and after starting to research things I'm starting to realize Olympus isn't the only brand with some high ISO issues in it's lineup, and they pretty much don't have an equivalent lens to my favorite, the7-14 Zuiko. Close, but not as well corrected, and, of course, I'm also looking at the distinctpossibility of stabilizing ALL my lenses within the next year or so...kind of a bad time to abandon the line.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote