Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:36 PM   #1

Just posted this on another site for any interested...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22015050

The images posted there and contained on the page linked at the bottom of that postwere shot with my E-1 and a friend's 40-150 f3.5-4.5 Zuiko. They were shot RAW and processed in Adobe's Camera RAW, utilizing ACR's ability to decrease grain through the Luminance Smoothing and Color Noise Reduction options in the "Details" tab within Adobe Camera RAW. Once processed and opened up in Photoshop I sharpened with the Smart Sharpen Filter, utilizing the "Fade" option to try and keep noise down as much as possible in the shadows. The resulting images are far from grain free, but they are also far from objectionable to most people considering this is ISO 1600 we're talking about.

In an unexpected event, after finishing with this shoot, I went to the nearest local Best Buy to check out what was there to see, and lo and behold, there was a Panasonic L1 with Leica 14-50. First time I've ever had the outfit in my hands. Typical of in-store examples, this one had been abused, with the 14-50 not being able to zoom beyond 28mm or so....pitiful, but I will say the body is quite beautifully finished and very easy to grip. As a prior owner of the Konica Hexar AF I have to say it feels, as I thought it might,just like a Hexar on steroids as it's bigger...a good thingconsidering the lenses you might be fitting to it. I have a feeling I could get to like it quite....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:28 AM   #2

Hi Greg

Those shots to my eyes look very good for ISO1600and esp with the 40-150 Zukio. Did you use flash ? From what I've read over at the Leica forum - Adobes ACR in CS3 is very good, better than Lightroom Beta 4.1, hopefully they'll have all of CS3's Raw capabilities integrated into LR v1.0 when its finally released.

Regards the L1 - I definetely know what you mean. For me it was goign to be my first DSLR but not knowing the final UK price (it could easily abve been £1500 body only) and the continuous delays for its availabilty in the UK meant that I went for my second option the E1. Although its boxy I found it very nice in the hand and eve the shutter button location isn;t bad at all. The price has come down quiet a bit lately £900 including the lens, I'm happy with the E1 and will wiat and see what happens but I do still hanker for the L1.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:09 AM   #3

hey greg those pics are awesome!

i mean those are killer. specially with 40-150.

i really like the little bit of blur on the ball!

i'm new to photography, and i'm working to figure out

my e-500. and i may be going in a direction that won't be

obtainable, i'm ok in photoshop.

and yes i can learn, but i'm trying to take the best pic without the

help of ps. and so far it seems in many cases that ps is needed,

to get the results that you are looking for. like these pics in this post

by satire23

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=36

i'm just wondering which is the best or maybe the smartest

way to go for me?

any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

and again your pics are awesome! john
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4

Thanks, guys.

Regarding the flash question, no I did not use flash. Lighting in these buildings is very consistent, so before I started shooting I established an exposure that gave me a good histogram, set it in manual mode and shot every picture with the same setting. It was an especially good thing to do in the shots where I had the bright windows in the background. The meter in many cases would have probably picked a faster shutter speed due to the backlight and would have underexposed the volleyball players.

I was pleasantly suprised with the 40-150 Zuiko, not having used one before. Had I used my 50-200 I would have benefitted from faster shutter speeds that would have frozen the action better. I want to say my friend was getting shutter speeds of 1/320 sec. or soat f4 using his E-500 and I was shootingaround 1/200 or so at f4.5 with the 40-150, so even in a case where optically they both give very good performances speed is still nice to have too. He was shooting at the same ISO with his E500 but he does not shoot RAW, so it'll be interesting to see what his SHQ JPEG's look like. I know they would probably benefit from some sort of noise help and maybe some extra sharpening after the fact.

airbrushjohn, I like the E500 very much. About all I can tell you regarding image quality and using Photoshop, I don't know of one image I've taken with any DSLR I've owned (Canon's Digital Rebel and10D or my current E-1 and E300)that did not benefit from some sort of help with Photoshop. It's just the nature of the beast, so don't bang your head against the wall looking for perfection straight out of the camera.I consider Photoshop "the lab". Back when I shot film, you had to take the roll of color negative filmto the lab to get the images, and those automated machines took the developed negatives and added compensation and color corrections to get the final prints to look the way they did. Photoshop is no different. Do whatever you have to to get the look you want. It isn't cheating.

While I'd like an L1 like I originally said, like Harjtt mentioned, the price is a little steep. I may well pick up an E500 at it's currently great price ($449, body only at B&H) as an extra body to have until these newer models that are about to be introduced have been out for a year or so. Unless the lower or mid-level models are just priced great, and most brand-new Olympus models are not, the E500 makes more sense for me right now even though the thought of in-body image stabilization sounds great.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:35 PM   #5

not sure if you ran it through any noise reduction s/w. If not, then impressive!

You can run these through some NR and remove all Chroma noise and leave out the lum. noise, that would leave all the details intact. Thats what I do when I take some indoor shots of my son late in the evening - I shoot at 800ISO. Now I have my 50mm and FL36...so goodbye ISO800+ for now.
prajull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:47 PM   #6

prajull wrote:
Quote:
not sure if you ran it through any noise reduction s/w. If not, then impressive!
No dedicated third-partynoise reduction programs like Neat Image or Noise Ninja. The only noise tools used were the ones within Adobe Camera RAW as originally notedand within the Smart Sharpen Tool in Photoshop CS2 where you can fade the sharpening effect in the shadows to keep from elevating noise like you can get if you use the regular Unsharp Mask filter that sharpens uniformly across the image.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:42 AM   #7

very nice Greg, Ill have to read that closeley

L1 is an interesting bus isnt it
I think both L1 and E-400 seem to do a bit better noise wise
the very best thing about L1 is the aperture ring and speed dial though
LC-1 is the same and I absolutely love it
like E-330 they dont seem all that sharp
at least from the review stuff Ive seen

BTW I read on dpreview that E-330 bodies have been sold on ebay last night for about US$450 ea

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:12 PM   #8

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
very nice Greg, Ill have to read that closeley

L1 is an interesting bus isnt it
Yes, I made the mistake of seeing and handlingthe L-1in a local store the first time this weekend. Truth be told, I've been thinking about (I know.... this is heresy) buying the kit and SELLING the Leica lens to bring the overall cost of the bodydown. I'd really like to see what the price would be for the body-only. I knew this would be about the time I'd be in a position to buying something and I was hoping by now the L-1 would be available for purchase separately. Already having a full set of 4/3rd's glass, I really don't NEED this Leica lens, as nice as it is. I bet it might do well on eBay as many Olympus users have been clamoring for the chance to buy the lens.

I've also been checking out the E330. Some sites, dcresource for one, say the E330 has better noise characteristics at ISO 800 and 1600 settings, but I really like the layout of some of the controls on the E500 better. I'm probably going to the store again this evening to check all three out and make my mind up after mulling this over at least two dozen more times.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:35 PM   #9

your not taken by LiveView or the tilt LCD then Greg ?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 1:07 PM   #10

What interests me more with the E330 is (1) better noise characteristics at ISO 800 and (probably) better at ISO 1600 too, using the same processing of RAW files as I've noted with the E-1 files, and (2) the pop up flash of the E330 is situated a little further from the flash shoe than it was on the E300, so I could use my FL50 in tandem with the built-in unit if I wanted to...something that I can't do with the E300.

Yes, the tilting LCD is a nice feature and would have been agreat option when I was shooting the ceilings of all those churches in Paris, a place I'm going again this September. I have a feeling it would beof great use there. Otherwise,live view isn't something I don't think I'duse all that often, but whoknows...the fact it's there as needed is great, and the 2.5" high definitionLCD's on these new bodies will be a nice improvement from the smaller ones I've been using on the older bodies.

I really also want to buy Adobe Lightroom while it's priced at $199 vs. the $299 it will cost after April 30, so it'll most likely be the E330 and Lightroom. See, these thoughts are all running through my mind. I need so many things....like a new computer, but no way am I attempting to tie a Vista-runPC to all the software I've got on my current system. I wish I had an XP machine that was about one year old instead of the3 1/2year old machine I nowhave. I think I have JUST enough computing power to make Lightroom work.

So many things, so little money.