Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1

I have an E500 with the 2 kit lens. I am keen to get more reach and am considering the 50-200 or the Sigma 50-500. As I will be doing some extensive travel in the near future, I was wondering whether prices would be generally less expensive in Tokyo as opposed to the US.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
MarcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:02 PM   #2

Hi Mark

I'd assume that the price of the lenses in Japan will be cheaper than in the US and possibly by a nice amount.

Have you checked online to see if you can do a price comparison ?

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:42 PM   #3

Hi HarjTT

Most of the online pricing that I have found is in Japanese and difficult to comprehend the whole story (i.e. consumption taxes and earned points). The limited on-line pricing that I have seen is not much differentthan the better US on-line pricing. I am wondering whether an in person negotiated price is significantly better than what is posted on-line by some of the major camera/electronic stores.

Thanks for your response.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:42 PM   #4

Hi HarjTT

Most of the online pricing that I have found is in Japanese and difficult to comprehend the whole story (i.e. consumption taxes and earned points). The limited on-line pricing that I have seen is not much differentthan the better US on-line pricing. I am wondering whether an in person negotiated price is significantly better than what is posted on-line by some of the major camera/electronic stores.

Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:55 PM   #5

MarcM wrote:
Quote:
Hi HarjTT

Without a knowledge of Japanese, you're going to be in some trouble, and you certainly won't want to do any buying outside the major discount retailers like Yodobashi and Bic. In addition, these stores don't negotiate much, so don't count on getting a substantially better price in person. The current Yodobashi price for the Oly 50-200 is ¥104,700, which is equivalent to about USD $872.50. On top of that, if you register at time of sale for a Yodobashi point card, you'll get an additional 10% in points (about $87.25). That makes the total price about $785.
You can't apply the points to the current lens purchase, but you can turn around and go elsewhere in the store and use the points to buy something else.

The above price obviously depends on the day-to-day exchange rate, so it could go up or down.

(FWIW, the price and points are identical at Bic Camera).

On the other hand, the internet mail-order clearing house site Kakaku.com
has the 50-200 listed for ¥89,368 (= USD $744.73) at a place called PC Bomber. This would involve ordering and delivery within Japan, with some extra fees for shipping and COD, and the hassle and anxiety probably won't be worth the few extra bucks saved--and once again you have to know Japanese to do it.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:20 PM   #6

Hi Marc

I took a quick look on line for you and it looks as if US prices are as good as what you'll find in Japan esp now that Norm's been able to give some prices.

B H PhotoVideo has the 50-200 at $829.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Cameta Camera @ $819.95

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-50-200mm...QQcmdZViewItem

So it may just be worthwhile picking it up from the US rather than in Japan. On the other hand in the UK the 50-200 is about £650 (approx. $1300USD) so you wouldnt want to get it from here ! Damn just realised thats nearly the cost of the 35-100f2!

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:58 AM   #7

I appreciate the feedback. You both have certainly assisted me with the decision to buy in the US. BuyDig seems to have the best advertised price. Has anyone had any bad experiences with them and are they an authorized Olympus dealer?

Cheers

Marc
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:58 AM   #8

I appreciate the feedback. You both have certainly assisted me with the decision to buy in the US. BuyDig seems to have the best advertised price. Has anyone had any bad experiences with them and are they an authorized Olympus dealer?

Cheers

Marc
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:58 AM   #9

Cheers

Marc