Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:38 PM   #1

Riley, mentioned Lightzone as a RAw editor for linux while I decide on what to do with my Windows Shuttle XPC and I hadn't realised it was available as a linux application. I had to google for the linux version of Lightzone and found that the linux version is being developed by a few people outside of Lightzone's offical developers and its free! First thoughts on the app - a really different interface and way to work esp if you've been used to any other sort fo Adobe app. Its the first polished image/RAW editor that I've come across on Linux and thast sayign a lot. I'm still trying to get my head around it but its definetly better than Bibble Pro - its not crashed or core dumped on me at all and even though they recommend a 2GHz + 1GB Ram as the base spec its been ok even on my Dual P3 450 + 750MB Ram! I'm more than likely upgrade this amchine as well possible pick up a pair of PIII 700's - need to decide on whether to get another shuttle XPC.

You can down load it from here:

http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/

Here's three shots converted from RAW to jpeg taken yesterday during lunch. the church shot still looks as if its got a cast which I'll have to try and work out how to remove in Lightzone. There's no noise reduction applied to any of eth shots, and i couldnt notice any difference when using the USM tool.

1.Rover MG

2. Brick wall - the E1 nailed this one spot on. Just applied some USM and that was it.

3. Church - Need to work out all of the tools and look into colour correction so I can remove the cast to this one.

If any ones interested in the full size images let me know and I'll put them somewhere where they can be downloaded.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2

fast work Harj !
Im checking out the functionality of it
seems all the important cameras are supported

Olympus
C-5050Z, C-5060WZ, C-70Z, C-7000Z, C-7070WZ, C-8080WZ, E-1, E-10, E-20, E-20N, E-20P, E-300, E-330, E-500, SP-350, SP-500UZ

Panasonic
DMC-FZ30, DMC-FZ50, DMC-LC1, DMC-LX1, DMC-LX2, DMC-L1

Leica
AG M8 Digital, AG R9 Digital Back DMR, D-Lux 2, Digilux 2, Digilux 3

it does seem to be a little different
yay for open source

Riley

ugh, now I might have to decide on which linux system
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:46 AM   #3

Hi Riley

Now thats easy Ubuntu 6.10 with the OSX icon theme!

Lightzone is a lot better than Bibble Pro and the rest. The way it works is really different from Photoshop/Lightroom and I know theres going to be a bit of a learning curve but I was really happy with the MG shot and the way its come out.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

PS.

The FL50 arrived today .. not that I'm into flash photography - well not yet anyway!
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4

hi Harj
I posted at LUF looking for comment on LightZone

http://www.leica-camera-user.com/dig...d=1#post175002

there are it seems a few people using it, especially for B&W

Riley
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:23 PM   #5

Hi Riley

Thats quiet a few more than when I first heard of it - then it was LCT who had just come across it and he was kind of raving about it at the time but I wasn't any good at taking pictures and wasn't shooting in RAW either.

From what I;ve seen of stnami's pics it looks as if its a very good RAW editor on any platform.

Cheers

Harj
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:56 PM   #6

hi Harj
yes stnami (Imants) and Mitchel seem to do very well with it
quite understandable with the way they massage the contrast range which it seems particularly good at. Imants in particular is an art photographer and is particularly fussy, hes ex Oly 4/3 but was unhappy about low iso as he sees it.

I dont think theyve all had a look at the thread yet, there may be more replies to come

Riley
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:13 PM   #7

dam
i posted in the wrong thread
apologies

Riley