Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:54 AM   #1

Just started looking towards Olympus DSLR's....I like the idea they are a bit smaller, have smaller sensor which gives more crop-factor and a bit more DOF for macros, and also very standardized compatible system for all lenses. And the pixelmapping all Olympus has is something I'd rather not be without.

BUT, I'm mainly looking for a telezoom, going up to at least 200mm, and there are like none of those from Olympus (unless you are really rich)

Sigma has like one or two, but either very very cheap and pretty bad quality, or some expensive and big and bulky extreme 500mm or so.

So, does anyone believe Olympus are gonna put out some more telezooms later on?
Or do they prioritize other focal lenghts instead?
Maybe Sigma are about to release more of their lenses for 4/3?
Do they release new stuff often, or is it like one new lens each year?

Many thanks for some feedback, even if its just rumours
ASBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:17 AM   #2

welcome to the holy land sport
quite frankly there are so many rumours its a bit like the D Day landings
and similarly, its been a long time coming, so like 1944 its a special year

can we just sort out what you are looking for
200mm on a 2x crop is 400mm EQ

from recollection
5 lenses from Olympus
5 lenses from Leica D
and the rest of the Sigmas get 4/3 mounts

3 bodies this year from Olympus
possibly a 4/3 EVIL from panasonic (electronic viewfinder, interchangeable lens)

other choices you have include anything you can think of inc Olympus OM glass
all by 4/3 mount adapter, hence manual focus
of note are the OM's, Minolta Rokkor, Konica AR

the 4/3 mount is the widest, and the register the shortest, so almost anything is possible. To shoot tele is advantaged by the 2x crop, so nice cheap glass like Konica AR 135 F3.2 becomes 270mm/3.2. Options from 100mm to 1500mm are easy to envisage.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:28 PM   #4

I'm personally looking for either panaleica or Oly to intro a 50-100 f2 or 2.8 (Pretty please!!!) at a resonable price and if its the pana with IS as well. Whether we see anythign like that I've got no idea. We'll just have to wait a few more weeks and all will be revealed.

Cheers

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:06 PM   #5

Thats a lot of links for me to check out, thanks

I'm like only interrested in something like 50-200 or 75-200 or so....preferably a bit over 200 at the long end (I know about the cropfactor and that 200 equals 400 but I want at least 400 at the long end, for birds and stuff).

As I can see it there are NOT many lenses to choose from today, reaching 200mm or above, unless you pay loads of money (for a beginner anyway, who is kind of broke too lol).

I'll read up some on those links anyway, and hope Oly (or Sigma) will release some more long telezooms to fill the gaps, cause I guess there are many people who are into tele-shooting...not just me.

Much more to choose from for Canon/Nikon/Pentax and those, but I like the Olympus concept, and I would really really want pixelmapping the day I buy a DSLR.

EDIT: This might be a very fun lens....a bit pricy and bulky though. Lets see later on when some reviews maybe show up. More of this would be fun
Sigma 135-400/4,5-5,6 DG APO
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:45 PM   #6

By the way, does anyone know where I could find reviews of this lens, since it already seems available for other systems (Canon Nikon etc)?
Sigma 135-400/4,5-5,6 DG APO

I've searched at google but hard to find anything.
Are there some special sites that specialize in reviewing lenses?

Many thanks
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:36 PM   #7

HI ASBR

Check out SLR gear: they got a lot of reviews on glass this isn't exactly your lens but its pretty close as its the Asperical APO - you need to go to the bottom of the page for user reviews:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/223/cat/31

From what the reviewers state: its nto bad for the $$$ but its soft wide open, looks like QC is a bit off, its slow, focus hunts, etc.

From reading that I would spend a wee bit more and get the 50-200 for $820 - which on all accounts is a cracker of a lens. Here's a review:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...duct/38/cat/15

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:40 PM   #8

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
HI ASBR

Check out SLR gear: they got a lot of reviews on glass this isn't exactly your lens but its pretty close as its the Asperical APO - you need to go to the bottom of the page for user reviews:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/223/cat/31

From what the reviewers state: its nto bad for the $$$ but its soft wide open, looks like QC is a bit off, its slow, focus hunts, etc.

From reading that I would spend a wee bit more and get the 50-200 for $820 - which on all accounts is a cracker of a lens. Here's a review:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...duct/38/cat/15

Cheers

HarjTT

Ok thanks, gotta check that site in detail

Seems problematic to find good lenses for DSLR's
50-200, well, 200 is a bit on the short end, but could be ok I guess if its really sharp.

Everyone says how good DSLR's are with AF, they are so fast focusing and accurate and everything, but it seems thats only for very expensive (or wide with not much zoom) lenses. If you want a fun zoom that goes up to above 200mm it seems its always talk about focus hunt and slow AF and soft pics and trouble here and trouble there
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:36 PM   #9

Hi ASBR

You have to remember that the 50-200mm is equivalent to a 100-400mm (in 35mm) and that Sigma on the 4/3rds is going to be equivalent to a 270-800mm!

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:58 PM   #10

Looking at my own collection I've got more tele lenses than I use, an OM 80-200mm with an OM 2x teleconverter (giving me a range of 160-800mm), a 500mm mirror reflex lens (that I can also use with the 2x converter), an OM 50mm f1.8, not to mention the 40-150mm kit lens.

Personally I'd like to see more done on the wider end of the range...having the smaller sensor it's easy to get long teles due to the 2x multiplication factor, but it's a lot harder to find wider lenses because the 2x defeats wider lenses.

Recently I was looking at a Sigma 16mm fisheye that was a good deal...however on the Oly it looked almost exactly like the 14-45mm kit lens set to 14mm...even with the fisheye lens bulge it had little or no effect on the camera.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote