Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:43 PM   #1

I got the FL50 today and noticed it didnt have an off camera terminal whcih I found a bit bizarre as my Sunpak 383 does. As I was hoping to be able to use a pocket wizrad wireless setup to get the flash off camera and on any bracket it looks as if you need Hot Shoe Flash Cable (FL-CB05) - which costs $79.95 ! What were OLy thinking by skimping on such a valuable feature, apart from.. we'll make $80 extra for that!? Apart from that lil gripe its a pretty fine flash.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:42 PM   #2

Um, you're talking about different classes of flash here, Auto (Sunpak) vs. TTL (Oly).

The Auto flash requires only a simple 2 conductor cable, and for that you just need a sub-miniture 1/32" earphone connector for portable flashes, or a 1/4" headphone connector for higher end strobes...IOW it's no big deal.

The Oly TTL flash on the other hand requires a 5 conductor cable...to get all those signals to the flash requires a complex connector, the simplest is the hotshoe connector that's already there. The other alternative that Olympus used to use on older C-series cameras and the FL-BK01 is a round connector that can be seen in the following link which is the round TTL flash connector on the C-730:

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/oly...-flashsync.jpg

Now, why not provide the basic 2 conductor connector that the auto flashes use? Even in Auto mode the FL-50 still sends other signals to the camera, to let you know that the flash is fully charged and ready to fire for instance. Those other signals aren't meant to travel long distances, unlike the trigger voltage.

Some people have gotten the FL-CB05 cable and defeated it by cutting it in half and putting on a different connector(s) in-between the two halves so they can send the signal(s) further.

Personally I own multiple flashes for different uses...I have an FL-36 with an FL-CB05 cable for regular on-camera use. I have a Metz slave flash to act as a fill-n flash in addition to the FL-36, or instead of the FL-36 if I'm lighting something further away (with an assistant so it won't get stolen) using the internal flash at low power as a trigger for the slave (the Metz I originally bought for use with my C-700 (same round connector as C-730) because I didn't want to have to fork out for the FL-CB04 and FL-BK01 to use an Oly flash)...the Metz can also be used as a tethered auto flash via a 1/32" connector. I use 2-3 monolights via a PC-adapter for when I'm doing portrait shooting. IOW I don't use one flash for all jobs.

On the topic of alternative cables some people have successfully used the Canon "shoe cord 2" with their Olympus flash (only 4 of the 5 Canon contact points are used)...no word if anyone has ever used a wireless trigger designed for Canon flashes with the Oly...doubt it would work though.

Additional: I realized after posting that the Metz slave is shown in my avatar attached to the C-700...although it wouldn't fire as shown as the internal flash of the C-700 is closed and disabled!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:49 AM   #3

hi Harj
i guess you know already the ballpark price of the Oly part
check this out

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/s...ead.php?t=1104

its weird that Oly can use Canon, and Leica can use Nikon

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:34 PM   #4

You can use any Hot shoe to PC adapter, this is the one I use with my PW & Fl-36.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Or another:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:21 PM   #5

Check the price on a Canon off-shoe cord 2, too. That's the one piece I kept of my Canon outfit because it does indeed work with the Olympus system, and the Canon cord is much better made. I have both. The Olympusshoes/foot combinationon their cord is very flimsy compared to the Canon part.

I'm hearing talk of a possible wireless flashsystem coming from Olympus. Unfortunately, I'll bet our FL50 flashes won't work....but you never know.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:02 AM   #6

(the previous message got lost when the site froze)

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
the Canon cord is much better made.
Actually I heard exactly the opposite...most people I've heard from who use the Canon cord have complained it goes defective within a few months. Maybe they were counterfeit cords bought on eBay.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:24 AM   #7

So far, after having had the Canon model for over 2 years, it's still in fantastic shape. The shoe/tripod is a one-piece hard plastic construction, where the Olympus shoe/tripod mountis a two piece job, and mine after just over a year has developed some play. The shoe with theflash mounted can shift a few degrees or soto either side, and I don't see how I can tighten them back up, and the plastic used in the Olympus versionseems to meto beinferior to the Canon Cord 2. If I'm hand-holding the flash off the camera, either works fine. If I'm mounting the flash and camera to a flash bracket, the Canon cord/shoe is the only one of the two I have thatI wouldtrust.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:31 AM   #8

I believe the intentional use of the original post got lost somewhere.

Pocket Wizards can only use a cord with a 1/8 mono mini-phone jack and a PC connection to the camera, thereare no TTL functions whatsoever. Basically you are using your Fl-50 as a strobe along with manual camera metering.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...6/_2192133.jpg

papillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:07 PM   #9

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the info on this and papillon is right, in that I want to try such a setup with a radio/IR setup like the pocket wizards (I'm looking at some cheaper gear on ebay just to see how it works). If it doesn't work well, I'll keep the FL50 on the E1 + lightsphere and have my sunpak 383 as a slave.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:33 PM   #10

With the rumours of a wireless flash system from Oly I wonder how difficult it would be for Oly to produce some kind of attachment that would allow the FL50/36's to be controlled by any new wireless flash they introduce ? Could it be as simple as a hoteshoe with the correct no of pins and a built in receiver ? I hope so and I think it would be silly for Oly not to intro something like that.

Cheers

HarjTT