Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:44 PM   #1

Ive been wondering lately where Oly will pitch the E1P - will they aim it at the top end going up against the Nikon D2X and Canon 1D MKII's or aim for the Nikon D200/Canon 5D/Fuji S5 Pro/Pentax K10 D markets ? With pentax selling the K10D + lens for £700.00 ($999.95 USD), the Nikon D200 body only at £850 ($1339.95) and the new Fuji SPro for £1300.00 ($1899.95) and the Pro bodies from C & N at $3500 price and features are going to be even more crucial. I'm of the opinion they'll need to intro a semi-pro level cam pitched around the $1000-1300 range if the E1P is going after D2X and 1D we might possibly see a E350P (weathersealed, faster AF and more AF points, improved LV, brighter+bigger VF and IS).

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:39 PM   #2

hi Harj
not sure about prices
depends sometimes where the product is in its life cycle, as they start out high and come down to cheap as they have for some of us lately.

But they sure need to catch up technicly, decent AF and better flash features are way overdue. A strata aproach to features and pricing would be useful, as long as we knew which was which. Cant say I do for the moment.

Surely what i would enjoy, is better access to control functions like speed dial and aperture ring, even if its only on the barrel, therefore not required on a lens. An iso selector wheel, WB selector wheel would also strike me as useful and not to difficult to organise being that there would be no changes to the existing software.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:32 AM   #3

Olympus must know who they are competing with. Canon came out swinging with the New 1D Mark Three System. They did not announce just a new camera they announce a camera and all of the sub systems that would go with that camera, flash, remote storage, radio system, and even a new line of lens. But most important, the pixel count is only 10.1. But this sensor mite be what will make the difference.
If Olympus is going to swing back and keep pros like me from jumping to Canon, the new E-1P better match Canon both camera wise and System wise.
I just got paid by two magazines and a new Camera System will look good on the Tax rolls. I figure on spending 15k on Olympus if they do as they say they will.
Or I will be spending about 54k and putting allot of Z Glass on Ebay.
Tom
Newsphotog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:15 AM   #4

Hi Tom

The new Canon is a pretty impressive beast and kind of ticks all of the boxes that you'd think the E1P+ would be aiming for. I had a look at imaging resources review on the D2X, another camera that the new Oly would be up against and what got me was that Nikon also kept the sensor to just 10MP (native ISO100-800) but concentrated on getting everything else right about the cam and that got me really thinking that where the next EX came would be pitched. Lets hope that between Oly/Pana/Leica/Kodak they can produce something special - excellent ergnomics, same size as the E1, LV, IS and a top notch sensor to match.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:43 AM   #5

I just got off the phone with my Olympus Tech person.
I asked him point blank, did you see the Canon Announcement?
He told me that he had already seen a prototype.
Then I asked him it I should be concerned and possibly be looking to jump to Canon?
He responded with "Canon has what we have and we have what Canon wants."
He further said "You need to have a little more patients, Olympus is committed to producing the best pro camera on the pro market period." All I can say at this point is hummm.
Tom
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:49 AM   #6

Also, he let me know the Canon had fired the first salvo and he thinks Nikon is about the fire a round very soon on the Pro Camera stage as well.
Tom