Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:15 PM   #1

I think Oly should dump the XD card format and switch over to SD cards. From what I'ev read the XD cards really lag behind in performance and for SLR's I just don;t see the point in having it there. Oly should just make all new cameras have both CF+SDHC slots (would keep Pana happy too) so you could have say a 4GB 133x CF card and a 4GB SDHC 133x card in the cam ready to shoot. For the E1P and the E330 replacements that should be standard.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:44 PM   #2

Yup, it's past time.

The DSLRs at least can use CF. The xD is really going to hurt sales of their SP line of digicams. They need to at least start offering two slots in those, one with a different format.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:14 PM   #3

What confuses me about them is, why does a company like Fuji putxd-cards in such popular cameras as the F30/20/10 etc? It doesn't seem to stop people from buying those models. I have a feeling the situation with Olympus p&s models is, up to now they've simply been inferior to the competition. Fuji has proved if the product is good enough, people will buy it, no matter the media used.It'll be interesting to see what happens in terms of saleswith the SP550 if it tests out in terms of image quality and mechanicalperformance.

I did succomb and purchased an H series for my E330, so now I've got a 4GB CF card & 1 GB xd card loaded.At least they are cheap.I will say, the first time I loaded and formatted it, it took around 7-8 seconds to format vs. the 2-3 seconds it takes for the 4-times bigger CF. I saved a few shots to it today and it seemed to work fine, but I was shooting architecturedowntown, not in multiple bursts at a sporting event. I'm sure that would be a much different story.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:31 AM   #4

does depend somewhat on your shooting rate
Ive never understood the focus some of the review stats, like start up time
writing to RAW could be more important

xD cards might be kept for more miniature P&S cameras
but they dont belong on more sophisticated models

why hold to/create yet another format when the existing types suffice or exceed

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:33 AM   #5

Performance wise XD cards are lagging behind SD cards by quiet a bit and also in terms of price too. It may be worthwhile for Pana/leica/Oly to just standardise on CF+SD cards as the card format of choice for 4/3rd cameras - dual slots for any cameras that they make.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:12 AM   #6

Problem is xD is a Olympus-Fuji partnership, and SD is Panasonic.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:15 AM   #7

Fuji actually got pretty good performance on the F30, I think likely because they put a good strong battery in it.

And I doubt it hurts sales that much. But some people do have it as a criteria. And when it gets to the point that it's slowing down a camera as well, that will hurt too.

I bet the SP-550 will sell some just because of the attraction of that large zoom. But if it has the noise you might expect from a 1/2.5" sensor, and the sluggish performance of some of the other SP models, I don't think it will be a big hit. Though, with 4 AA batteries, performance should be at least decent. The sluggish models only have 2.

If the camera is fast enough, and the prices aren't too bad, I don't think most people care so much what type of card it takes.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:03 PM   #8

I agree -- I think xD is a stagnant technology, especially compared to SD. Truth be told, there are two reasons why I purchased a Panasonic superzoom P&S way back when rather than Olympus, and that was that Olympus used xD cards and their video mode didn't offer sound. I considered both of those to be huge issues at that time, and now about 5 years later when I buy an Olympus E-500, I have to admit I was a little shocked that Olympus was still using xD cards. I can't tell you how thankful I am that my E-500 also has a CF card slot, or I probably would be a Canon 400Downer. The 256mb xD card that came with my E-500 kit is in the camera, but I don't think I've used it more than a first try.

A lot of people I know are put off by Olympus and Fuji using xD cards. The main reason for this is that SD technology is so widespread in multiple different devices (MP3, digital cameras, digital video cameras, PDAs) that consumerswill actually make their digital camera purchasing decisions based on the media the camera takes. Most people already own multiple SD cards for their various devices, and they really don't want to buy intoyet another memory card format.
Internetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:04 PM   #9

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I think Oly should dump the XD card format and switch over to SD cards. From what I'ev read the XD cards really lag behind in performance and for SLR's I just don;t see the point in having it there. Oly should just make all new cameras have both CF+SDHC slots (would keep Pana happy too) so you could have say a 4GB 133x CF card and a 4GB SDHC 133x card in the cam ready to shoot. For the E1P and the E330 replacements that should be standard.

Cheers

HarjTT

For a dumb old bugger like me would someone explain the basic differences and advantages of SD vs CF in my E500.
I'm blithly running CF and feeling OK with them. Now you guys have made me fell like I'm doing something wrong....

Just been poking around with google and can see right away the price and capacity differences between SD and XD. Guess with the E500 I'm stuck with CF for a while.

Not a hardship now but when Oly comes out with their next flagship (Replacement E1) camera that'll be one of the things to look at.

Is it time to change my 8 track..???

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:18 PM   #10
Administrator

The one thing you have to remember is that xD is Olympus' own product so it would be like telling Sony to dump their Memory Stick or (laughing out loud) the Beta tape format.

It is a shame though as xD cards are so pathetically slow. When I put one in my USB 2.0 card reader to dump to the computer I leave the room because it is too painful to watch :roll:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote