Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:26 AM   #1

playing a little deeper into setup
this far I have

Adobe RGB
sharpness at +2
saturation at -1
contrast at -1
noise reduction - ON
shading comp - ON

does that compare with your setup ?

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:17 AM   #2

Depends on what you like, there's no right or wrong:

sRGB
sharpness at +1
saturation at +2
contrast at +1
noise reduction - OFF
shading comp - OFF
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:48 AM   #3

The times I've used my E300 I've mainly shot RAW so I've never bothered to even set too many of theperameters since it doesn't really matter. I see you have noise reduction turned on. Doesn't that slow the shot to shot timimg down quite a bit? I've never tried it with the E300, but the times I've played with that setting on my E-1 the buffer goes from 12 frames to 1!

I've played with theSHQ setting more with my E330. It's beenvery impressive so far, but I'm a pretty dyed-in-the-wool RAW shooter at this point. I don't think I could trustmyself toshoot JPEG exclusivelyall the time. I have enough issues trying to get the composition and exposure right, buteven in RAW captureI'm now trying to get the white balance setting right in-cameraso I don't spend so much time correcting color casts. That's one part of post-processing I'd like to minimize the time on the computer, and with digital, it so much easier to look at the image while you are at the location so you don't have to look at the files, sometimes days after you shot the image, and try to have to remember what the "right" colorlook was.

After having now played with the E330 for a week, both exclusively RAW for a whileand then JPEG only, I now have it set to RAW+JPEG for this weekend. This way I can work it both ways and see what I'm really missing in shooting RAW vs. what I can or cannot recover if I have to deal with clipped highlights or shadow detail. There are some images where I've really liked setting the sharpening to +2 with JPEG, and some others where, even with sharpening set up, the images looked too soft. In those cases I prefer the files just be RAW so I can set my own sharpening settings later.

In the end, I don't think there are any "correct" settings. I can't even make myself happy with oneset of perametersall the time!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:12 AM   #4

thanks for the replies
yeah interesting

Ive been using the Oly more and more for work so that I can get more used to it, see how it performs compared to LC-1, and generally have a bit of fun

I use jpeg because I dont have the HDD space to use RAW, since I shoot about 120 frames a day it would quickly mount up. Also processing jpegs is very quick even on my humble P4. With that number of images to process, I need automation (via macros) and speed. If I spend 5 minutes on an image its 3 minutes too long. Consistent exposure is therefore important too, Im very happy so far, and its not over yet. That and WB has been good to me on both cameras, and pretty much 96% of frames are successful, 50/120 publishable.

In using it inside the 11-22 has been great, other than the occasional mishap with the Metz it has performed well as a rig. As I dont have an adapter for the Metz its manual on the Oly, GNC or AUTO on the LC-1. Sometimes I have to look at the frame size in finished images to see which camera it is. Its been easy to develop a setup for indoors.

Outdoors is a bit different, Im wary of ESP for blowing out highlights from my C7070 and use CW, but in comparison with LC-1 for strong full sun its more deeply contrasty (the LC-1 being set to very slight contrast and saturation) Making them more similar just makes sense and makes processing more trouble free.

Riley

Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:17 AM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
The times I've used my E300 I've mainly shot RAW so I've never bothered to even set too many of theperameters since it doesn't really matter. I see you have noise reduction turned on. Doesn't that slow the shot to shot timimg down quite a bit?
NR (dark frame subtraction) only kicks in with exposures of 4+ seconds on the E-300 so it's meaningless on normal shots; on the other hand, having it set it does disable certain other functions, such as consecutive shooting and bracketing (if memory serves).

Quote:
I've played with theSHQ setting more with my E330. It's beenvery impressive so far, but I'm a pretty dyed-in-the-wool RAW shooter at this point.
Due primarily to spotty WB, I don't shoot SHQ on the E-300 except for high-ISO shots; the SHQ jpegs handle noise reduction in noiseware or neatimage better than the native NR in Silkypix, in my experience. Unfortunately, Silky leaves some nasty yellow noise in low-light high-ISO shots, and it can't be removed with any technique I've found yet (aside from converting to B/W) :lol:.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:30 AM   #6

Hi Norm
continuous shooting isnt an issue for me
houses dont move around all that much
and even the Metz requires some time to recycle
I only set NR for the previous 3 shoots, no idea why, I dont really have a noise problem
certainly not like LC-1 which even gets noisy under the eaves of a roof in daylight !

but Im enjoying these different perspectives

Riley