Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1

i was looking to buy a monopod to add with my bag.but i was wondering what brand would be best to use with my e-500 or are they all just about the same.i want at least one that well handle up yo 6lbs.if anyone out there has use one or has one could you please give me a little feedback.(THANK YOU VERY MUCH) PAT.:|
hotrodmanpsg4@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:09 PM   #2

I use one that I purchased a few years ago at Wal-mart for only $8.99. The same one now sells for under $20. It's a tall monopod that I made even taller by adding a ball head on it. It's very sturdy, though, and after going to my local Ritz camera and trying monopods that are exponentially more expensive, I just couldn't justify buying a new one. I'm a big guy (6'3", 240lbs), and I can lean my entire weight on the monopod without it even feeling like it was going to collapse or bend. It can definitely handle the weight of the E-500.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5030905
Internetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 2:01 AM   #3

I own a Boegen 676B:

link

Can't say I actually use it much. I only have a cheap ballhead on there now for my light weight digicam. But I believe the 3229 swivel tilt head is popular. I can say it seems to be very sturdy, comfortable, and well built. And I liked that it folds up to about 19 inches (without the head).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:51 AM   #4

Whatever tripod you decide on, don't buy it sight unseen...you have to make sure it's not only comfortable to use, but also comfortable to carry around as well (there are so many that are great at being one thing, but not the other)...if a tripod is too heavy, or too tall to carry you won't take it with you!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:00 AM   #5

If I were a professional Photographer I would probably for whatever reason buy one of those Carbon Fiber hi buck mono pods. But as an amature mine from WalMart does me well. It's small enough that I can tuck it into my Back Pack when I am not using it .
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:03 AM   #6

Like most of the replies I didn't do a lot of research. I was strolling through my local Best Buy one day and remembered I was going to take pictures at my son's baseball game that weekend. Grabbed the lone choice of monopod on their rack; around $22. Not the best design in my opinion but it did have an adjustable ball head and it supported my E-1 with the 40-150mm (no small feat) so I was pleased. As I also have an older camcorder without image-stabilization it does double-duty for that application giving me a much steadier picture at long zooms. Unless you're a serious sports or nature photographer who uses extremely large, heavy lenses a basic monopod (Slik, or the Impact model B&H sells for $19.95) should suffice. Then there's always WalMart!
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:19 PM   #7

stowaway7 wrote:
Quote:
Like most of the replies I didn't do a lot of research. I was strolling through my local Best Buy one day and remembered I was going to take pictures at my son's baseball game that weekend. Grabbed the lone choice of monopod on their rack; around $22. Not the best design in my opinion but it did have an adjustable ball head and it supported my E-1 with the 40-150mm (no small feat) so I was pleased. As I also have an older camcorder without image-stabilization it does double-duty for that application giving me a much steadier picture at long zooms. Unless you're a serious sports or nature photographer who uses extremely large, heavy lenses a basic monopod (Slik, or the Impact model B&H sells for $19.95) should suffice. Then there's always WalMart!
I actually really like the BestBuy one. I've looked at it long and hard, because it folds a little smaller than the old Wal-mart one (but about the same as the new Wal-mart one).

If it was just a little more black and a little less chrome.... You know, I have to continue the black "pro" look of my E-500, after all. In looking at the crowds of photographers, the only thing that you apparently don't want to be black is the lens -- it's needs to be that off-white/grey color, which signifies $$$$$. I've been thinking about stretchingcut bands of a white balloon over my 40-150mm kit lens...give that big $$$ look. Haha.
Internetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:04 PM   #8

thanks everyone i went with a light weight tripod the QSX 9002D it has a handle and only weights 3lb 1oz so that well be fine to strap to my bag. thanks again all.PAT
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:04 PM   #9

thanks everyone i went with a light weight tripod the QSX 9002D it has a handle and only weights 3lb 1oz so that well be fine to strap to my bag. thanks again all.PAT
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:18 AM   #10

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Whentransporting my tripod I keep the legs securedby wrappinga mini-bungee cord around them. When the situation warrants I leave it on and extend ONE leg of the tripod...instant monopod!

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote