Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:46 PM   #1

I saw an add for a productthat lets youattach nikon lenseson Olympus camera's (E300, E330, E500)

Did anybody use this converter-ring? And if so, how was/is the IQ with the nikon lenses on the Olympus.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:50 PM   #2

It's a ring just like the one Olympus makes for users to attached their OM line of manual focus lenses. You can buy various rings to fit all kinds of lenses, from Nikon F to Pentax K or screw mount, etc, etc.

The image quality will depend on which lens you fit to it. Obviously, you'll be limited to manual focus, so you want as bright a screen/fast a lensas possible. Some Nikkors that would be good choices would be the 50mm f1.8 or f1.4, an 85mm f2 or f1.4. I seeimages from time to time shotwith the 180mm f2.8 Nikkor, like here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22151290

Fitting any manual lens also means you will be restricted to stop-down metering and either aperture priority or manual exposure modes. If you are unfamiliar with any of those terms, you might want to reconsider whether or not you really want to try it.

There are a few dealers on eBay peddling the various adapters. I'd find one there with a good feedback record, or go check the posts on DPReview, which is where I obtained the above link. Those guys will point you to a reputable seller.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:02 PM   #3

Emphasis on MANUAL lenses, not electronic lenses.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:38 PM   #4

ebay or from these guys

http://www.cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm

The Nikon to 4/3 Four Thirds adapter works with virtually all Nikon SLR mount lenses, except lenses requiring mirror lock up, and the G series lenses which have their aperture controlled by the camera body. The vast majority of all Nikon F, AI, AIS, or the various AF Nikkors will work properly with this adapter. The photographer controls lens aperture by manually opening or closing the lens using the lens aperture ring. Mounted here is a manual focus 105/1.8 AIS Nikkor. Like the other 4/3 adapters, you can leave the adapter on the camera and change lenses.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:59 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies

Ok, so it was new for me, but it seems that you guys allready knew this.

I don't have a DSLR, but I want to buy one this summer, so I'm going through al lot of adds and forums to get info.

What I understand now is that the Nikon lenses on the Olympus is OK, but it only uses manual focus and manual metering, but it can be usefull when you want a lens that is not sold for Olympus like some primes.

Still one question. I've read that sigma or other third party lenses are not as good as the Zuiko lenses. How is that for nikon lenses. Any comparissement (how do you spell that word?) between two (almost the same)lenses?

Rudo
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:21 AM   #6

no problem Rudo
heres a good primer on other lenses for four thirds cameras

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/any-lens.html

you can check the quality of individual lenses at good sites like this

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

or you can run it by us here

you will find that the quality of various lens by manufacturer can vary a lot
in particular Sigma are very hit and miss, not to say they are all bad

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:55 AM   #7

Thanks for the links Riley. Very helpfull!

Rudo
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:08 AM   #8

While you're on the Wrotniak site, click on "Other Articles" for lots more E-system info (since you don't have the dSLR yet, you can learn LOTS more about it there).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:45 AM   #9

I'm considering getting one of these..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-SLR-Lens-t...QQcmdZViewItem

I tried out my slew of Nikon lenses on a buddy's D70. Since I'm used to manual focus for all these decades...it's not a big streatch to use em on a DSLR. :-)
I probably should have gone with a Nikon DSLR originally, but oh well. I really like the ability to use my fast 1.4 lenses and getting some more use out of thousands of $ worth of lenses again. Especially the macros.
Riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote